Teacher Cognitive Ergonomics for Human Machine Communication (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provides respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a teacher in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in Artificial Intelligence and the Master’s degree programme in Human Machine Communication (which will be named Computational Cognitive Science from 1 September 2021). Its teaching staff is mostly associated with the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes, teaching is in English, promoting an international setting and has a focus on research-driven teaching.
The duties of the Teacher will include, depending on the interests and experience of the candidates:
• teaching, tutoring and grading course modules in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in Artificial Intelligence and the Master’s degree programme in Human Machine Communication/Computational Cognitive Science which deal with Human and Cognitive Factors in task performance, such as Practical Cognitive Ergonomics, Cognitive Engineering, Applied Cognitive Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, and new courses such as Human Factors or Human-Computer Interaction; other course modules may include Scientific Skills in a variety of courses as well as Biopsychology/Cognitive Neuroscience, and General Linguistics courses, depending on current gaps in the programmes
• assisting other staff members in their teaching where needed
• instructing and supervising Bachelor’s and Master’s students who follow courses and perform related practical work and assignments
• instructing, advising, and supervising Bachelor’s and Master’s students during their research projects on topics in Cognitive Engineering / Human Machine Communication / Human-AI Interaction
• recruiting, selecting and managing Teaching Assistants (students)
• participating in the programme’s outreach and informational activities for aspirant students.
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have a Master’s degree or PhD, preferably in Human Machine Communication, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Neuroscience, or a related field
• have excellent teaching skills
• are fluent in English
• preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
• possess cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communicative skills
• have willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on level of experience with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for one year, with possibility of extension for one more year, depending on the developments within the organisation and a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience.
You can submit your application until 17 January 11:59pm / before 18 January 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the end of January 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr F. Cnossen
+31 50 3636336
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220459