Lecturer Science and Society (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provides 14 bachelor degree programs and 27 master degree programs respectively to approximately 7.000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programs are in English.
Within the Faculty, a group of lecturers is responsible for interdisciplinary education on the crossroads of science and society. The group provides courses on ethics, philosophy of science, policy and career orientation in most of the faculty’s degree programs, from mathematics to medical biology. The Faculty has presently one temporary vacancy within this group.
The Lecturer will contribute to courses in the faculty’s Bachelor’s programs on Science, Ethical and Professional Aspects (SEPA). The courses are interdisciplinary and most of them include projects that take place outside academia. The specific courses are listed below, for more information on the content, please consider the university’s on-line course catalog:
• Biology & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• Computing Science: Ethical and Professional Issues
• Physics, Astronomy & Society: Ethical & Professional Aspects
• Chemistry & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• Green Chemistry: Technological, Societal and Ethical Aspects ( WBCE026-05)
• Mathematics & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• LST and Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• Competences and Professionalization in Biology Chemistry & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects (SEPA, Chemistry)
• Physics, Astronomy & Society: Ethical & Professional Aspects (SEPA).
The Lecturer tasks could include:
• Give tutorials within the courses listed above
• Assess exams and assignments of the courses above
• Contribute to the education related to the track Science Business and Policy
• have the opportunity for further professionalization (approximately 10% of the position).
What we expect of you:
• a Master’s degree in a science or engineering discipline (because of the composition of the team there is a preference for a background in the field of applied pharmacy/mathematics or physics)
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, group work, coaching, workshops)
• affiliation with innovation, economics, business and policy studies
• demonstrable broad interests in and knowledge of societal aspects of science and engineering
• experience outside of academia, such as in business, consultancy, government, or non-governmental organizations is an asset
• excellent proficiency in English and command of Dutch
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
• to be flexible and creative
• ability to work in a team
• a University Teaching Qualification is a pre (Dutch: BKO).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 05 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2,846 up to a maximum of € 4,490 gross per month (salary scale 10)
• in addition to the salary: 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• a temporary (part time) position 0.8-1.0 FTE from March 1 – August 1. For this position the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 4.
Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can click on this link: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/conditions-employment
You can apply for this position by sending the curriculum vitae and motivation letter. You can submit your application until 27 January 11:59pm / before 28 January 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews are scheduled in week 5.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Mrs M. van Rijssel
+31 50 3632212
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222033