Programme assistant Bsc Biology (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7,000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the Biology Bachelor programme.
We are looking for an Programme Assistant who can strengthen our BSc degree programme in Biology by (1) facilitating the organization of study-support activities for 1st-year students, and (2) supporting the coordination of BSc research projects and theses for 3rd-year students. Both responsibilities address immediate challenges to the programme resulting from the current large cohort sizes, but also consolidate opportunities for educational innovation that emerged during the covid-19 crisis. In particular, the current position will contribute to the introduction of group-based and blended learning in the 1st year of the programme, and to the organization of final BSc projects in a new project-lab setting.
The tasks of the Programme Assistant will include:
● the organisation of study support activities for 1st year student, in collaboration with the study association GLV-Idun
● ensuring smooth communication between the programme team, the study association and course coordinators, to maximize the benefits of study-support sessions for students and the educational programme
● supporting the recruitment of project and thesis supervisors
● monitoring course unit enrollments
● participation in the practical organization of project labs, lab management, and student supervision for BSc research project students
● coordination of the supervision for BSc students writing their final thesis.
We encourage you to apply if you:
● are a recent graduate of the BSc degree programme in Biology at the University of Groningen and relevant experience or one of our MSc programmes in the life sciences
● have excellent organizational skills, as evidenced, for example, by past membership of a board or organizing committee for a study association or student society
● have experience in lab management or the supervision of lab practicals
● have good command of spoken and written English
● are a team player with excellent communication skills
● are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary with a minimum of € 2,968 up to a maximum of € 4,078 gross per month (salary scale 9) for a full-time position
● an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
● an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
● a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
Preferred start date: 1 January 2022
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application until 20 October 11:59pm / before 21 October 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place between 22 and 29 October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Sander van Doorn
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221354H