Lecturers of English Academic Skills (2.4 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
Express yourself – understand the world. This is the motto of the University of Groningen Language Centre. We believe that we can make the world a better place. We do this by supporting our clients in developing their language and intercultural skills, so that they can optimally perform their work or studies. We are passionate, innovative and effective.
The Language Centre is an independent, commercial unit within the Faculty of Arts that offers individual and group courses in several languages and in intercultural competences, at different levels and for general as well as specific purposes, to staff members and students of the University of Groningen as well as external clients. Many of our courses are designed on demand, to meet the particular needs of our clients. The Language Centre comprises sections for English, Dutch, Modern Foreign Languages, and Intercultural Communication, as well as the University Translation and Correction Service. The Language Centre has an international team of about 85 members of staff and is self-sufficient.
The English Section employs 19 lecturers who teach regular course units in academic oral and writing skills in English at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels for various faculties. In addition to English course units as part of degree programmes, we also offer tailored English courses for University staff members and organizations outside the University, as well as a range of General English Skills courses. Several colleagues are also involved in the Language Centre Testing Unit, which is responsible for all testing and assessment activities within the Language Centre.
The English Section is looking for three all-round English lecturers.
● developing, implementing and evaluating English Academic Skills (oral and written) teaching as part of regular degree programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels within the 11 faculties of the UG
● developing, implementing and evaluating tailored courses for a diverse client population based on need analyses
● developing and implementing formative and summative tests and developing, implementing, standardizing and evaluating language proficiency tests
● acquisition, coordination and coaching of colleagues may also be part of the job.
● be familiar with the academic world as a professional field and be able to function at an academic level
● have a Grade 1 English teaching certificate or similar qualification
● have ample experience with language proficiency teaching, both in person and online
● have a vision and understanding of the application of current developments in language teaching
● be familiar with and experienced in using the CEFR and in designing and implementing language proficiency tests
● be willing to work flexible hours
● have an inspiring attitude geared towards collaboration
● be able to make a creative and stimulating contribution to the further development of teaching
● have excellent social and communication skills
● preferably be native or near-native speakers of English with a good command of the Dutch language (>B2)
● be willing to gain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, we offer the following terms of employment:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and experience, in at least scale 10 (€2,836) and possibly 11 (€5,211) per month for a full-time position
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus over the annual gross income
- a temporary contract for a period of one year for a total of 2.4 FTE (three lecturers). The appointment term can be extended after one year if the candidate’s performance is satisfactory.
Starting date: 1 November 2021
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 19 September 11:59pm / before 20 September 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221516-18