Lecturer Science, Business and Policy (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7,000 students. In particular, you will become part of the Science and Society Education team that takes care of the track Science, Business and Policy (SBP) that is part of various Msc degree programmes of the FSE including Biomedical Science.
We are looking for a lecturer who can strengthen the Science and Society Education team with emphasis on the Biomedical Sciences programme. The team provides multidisciplinary education aimed at professionalisation competences via project-based learning. The team is responsible for the track Science, Business and Policy (SBP) that is part of various Msc degree programmes of the FSE including Biomedical Science. The SBP track is for students who have the ambition to go into industry, policy making, become a consultant, or pursue a biomedical position in any other field not related to research.
The tasks of the lecturer will include:
• assessment of science and society assignments
• supervision of projects on science advice
• teaching within the track Science Business and Policy
• supervision of internships at companies and (non-)governmental organizations
• contribution to develop activities to enhance student learning within the track.
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have a MSc degree or PhD in a Biomedical discipline
• have affinity with innovation, economics, business and policy studies and/or have experience outside academia, such as business, consultancy, government or non-governmental organization
• have good command of spoken and written English
• are a team player with good communication skills
• are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
• have experience with various forms of teaching (University teaching Qualification or prepared to obtain this within a year).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11)
• an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities, including the UTQ (BKO) training.
Preferred start date: 1 September, in any case not later than 1 November
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application until 13 June 11:59pm / before 14 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place between 21 June and 25 June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Marion van Rijssel (for information about the position)
Prof. Marc van der Maarel (for other information)
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221346