Senior Intercultural Competence Trainer (0.6-0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
Express yourself – understand the world. This is the motto of the Language Centre (https://www.rug.nl/language-centre/), for language and culture. Difference in language and background need not be an impediment to communication in work and study. We believe that we can make the world a better place by supporting our clients in the development of their intercultural and linguistic skills.
The Language Centre is an independent unit within the University of Groningen that offers individual and group courses in intercultural communication and in several languages, at different levels and for general as well as specific purposes. Many of our courses are designed on demand, to meet the particular needs of our clients. The Language Centre consists of five sections:
• Intercultural Competence
• Modern Foreign Languages
• Translation and Correction Service.
We are an international team of 100 employees in the sections and at the secretariat.
The Intercultural Competence section is the youngest department, which started in 2014 in the firm belief that intercultural competence is one of the most meaningful competences in an international environment such as a university.
Due to a growing demand for intercultural training within and outside the University, we are looking for a Senior Intercultural Competence Trainer.
Design, build and delivery of a broad range of intercultural competence training for various faculties of the University, in the context of the University’s Language and Culture policy. The primary target audience will be faculty, but the candidate should be able to adapt training delivery style to the audience: students, external clients or businesses.
You will be part of a community of advanced practitioners, engaged in high level theoretical exchange, with an extensive international network.
• academic professional standard
• strong theoretical understanding of intercultural communication and the development of intercultural competence
• preferably a master’s degree in a related field, such as intercultural studies, intercultural relations or communication, cultural anthropology or cross-cultural psychology. Other sources of formal intercultural studies will be taken into consideration. Working knowledge of cultural values research is desirable
• at least 5 years’ experience as an intercultural competence trainer in an international environment. Proven excellence as a trainer. Ability to apply adult, experiential learning principles to the training environment
• ability to facilitate the understanding of intercultural concepts and the application of behavioural strategies via the scenarios, specific events, and prior experiences of the training participants
• ability to take a participant-focussed developmental approach to training delivery. Creative in designing immersive intercultural exercises for training
• certified in intercultural skills assessment, preferably in the intercultural development inventory (IDI)
• bilingual in English and Dutch (C2 level) as training can be delivered in either language
• preferably having lived and/or worked on three different continents for at least two years each
• awareness of the developments in internationalization in higher education in The Netherlands and abroad.
Do you fulfil the above job requirements and are you a proactive, client-centered and service-oriented teammate able to master a complex, versatile job quickly? Then this position might be for you.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of at least € 2,709 up to € 4,274 (salary scale 10) based on a full-time appointment
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a position is for 0.6-0.8 FTE and for a period of one year.
You can submit your application until 20 June 11:59 pm / before 21 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Please submit your letter of application and CV. All applicants will be kept informed of the procedure; we therefore kindly request that you await our notice.
Interviews will take place on 24 June 2021.
You can use Michaela Carriere’s email address to request a telephone meeting to answer questions you may have about the vacancy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Michaela Carrière, Section Head & Trainer Intercultural Competence
In your application, please always include the job opening ID T030221