Associate or Full professor in Geo Energy (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, physics and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence and energy and environmental sciences. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG). This growing institute comprises of 5 groups (“base units”) with a total of over 100 staff. This growing institute comprises of 5 groups (“base units”) with a total of over 100 staff. Research in the institute varies from experimental laboratory and field studies to model studies and research into the interaction between scientific knowledge and society. Key words are Energy Systems, “circular resource” systems and Carbon Cycle and Climate.
We are looking for an associate or full professor in Geo Energy in the Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG). The candidate will chair the Geo Energy (GE) group within ESRIG. The research of the GE group is primarily focused on the Netherlands with its declining gas reserves, its “induced seismicity” (earthquake) problems associated with gas extraction, and increasing population and energy needs.
Research subjects include (the interplay between) safe subsurface storage of CO2 (CCS) and induced seismicity problems, geothermal energy exploitation and other avenues of new energy sources. All of these national/regional subjects must be studied in close view of both economical and social feasibility. Furthermore, the focus is on how sustainable exploitation of the subsurface with simultaneous and multiple forms of energy extraction and storage in a densely populated country like the Netherlands must be organised.
On a global scale, a new avenue to be explored is the proliferation of mineral components which are a necessity for the transition towards new energy sources and storage facilities. Here a close interaction is possible with LCA and “circular economy” specialists elsewhere in ESRIG.
• develop a strong research group that contributes to the profile of your research institute
• supervise PhD students and postdocs
• acquire substantial research funds from external sources
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programme Energy and Environmental Sciences master
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the fields of teaching, research and management.
Nominally 40% of your time is for research, 40% for teaching activities and 20% for organizational tasks.
When hired, you will be expected to submit a proposal for the “DeepNL” programme of the Dutch Research Council (NWO).
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in earth sciences
• at least two years of academic experience outside the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and an extensive international network
• excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
• independently supervised PhD students
• proven leadership qualities and demonstrable organizational competences
• received substantial research grants from external sources
• a good track record in teaching and in curriculum development
• experience and affinity for working in an interdisciplinary setting
• demonstrable organizational competences
• cross-cultural sensitivity
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a clearly visible expert in your field
• an inspiring leader who stimulates his or her group members to get the best out of themselves
• a team player with good communication skills
• able to highlight the societal relevance of your research
• in possession of or willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to learn it within five years.
Depending on your experience, you can be offered either a position on the level of Associate or Full Professor. You may indicate in your application what to your opinion the desired/expected level is.
Conditions of employmentWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, from € 5,039 (salary scale 13) up to a maximum of € 6,738 gross per month (salary scale 14) for a full-time position as Associate professor, or from 5,582 up to a maximum of 8,127 gross per month (salary scale H2) for a full-time position as Full professor
• holiday allowance and year-end bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
• a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
• a full-time tenured position as either Associate Professor or Full Professor.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As Associate Professor, you will enroll in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science. This means that you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor after 4-7 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion:
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’, including a list of your publications
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience and a description of your scientific interest and plans
• a list with names of references.
You can submit your application until 15 March 11:59pm / before 16 March 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. H.A.J. (Harro) Meijer, +31 50 3634760 (secretariat)
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220004
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail More information about the research institute