PhD researcher Groningen Graduate School of Law (3.0 FTE)
Faculty of Law
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Law of the University of Groningen is a modern, (inter)nationally oriented institution which builds on a longstanding tradition of almost four centuries. The faculty has the ambition to measure itself with the best law faculties in Europe and continuously renews its curriculum in order to educate lawyers with a broad orientation, accustomed to look beyond the borders of their own (sub) discipline. The faculty’s research is often cross- and multidisciplinary. The faculty offers several (inter)national bachelor and master programmes and hosts more than 4000 students and almost 350 members of staff.
The Faculty of Law offers 3 positions for employee PhD-students. You will participate in the Groningen Graduate School of Law (GGSL). The Graduate School organizes the training for students of the research masters as well as the PhD students. The GGSL provides a stimulating and inspiring intellectual environment. By the national accreditation committee it was praised for the quality of its researchers, as well as for the many research projects in cooperation with both national and international partners. The legal research master received the predicate 'Top education' by the Dutch selection guide for master studies, for the fourth year in a row.
You are required to carry out their research in one of the following seven research programmes: (https://www.rug.nl/rechten/onderzoek/groningen-centre-for-law-and-governance/onderzoeksprogrammas)
1. Effective Criminal Law
2. Law on Energy and Sustainability
3. Protecting European Citizens and Market Participants
4. Transboundary Legal Studies
5. User-friendly Private Law
6. Public Interests and Private Relationships
7. Public Trust and Public Law.
You carry out your research according to the approved research proposal. The GGSL provides training and offers the opportunity to attend international conferences and to participate in workshops and seminars. You also have teaching responsibilities. At the start of the employment, your promotor and you will decide in consultation about your teaching activities. Training as well as teaching responsibilities are laid down in a personal training and supervision plan.
You should have obtained a university master’s degree, preferably in law or in a field that is relevant for carrying out the research proposal. You should furthermore be competent in academic writing and should be able to plan and organize their activities in an independent manner.
- analytical thinking skills
- goal oriented
- critical research attitude
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 18 months.We offer in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2325,- gross per month in the first year, up to € 2972,- gross per month in the last year for a full-time position
- a temporary appointment as a PhD researcher (full-time). Initially, the appointments will be for a period of 18 months. After one year, the PhD's performance will be assessed. If the result of the results and development interview is positive, the appointments will be extended until 4 years. The appointment has to be completed with an individual dissertation.
You may apply until 14 May 11.59pm / before 15 May 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
- a motivation letter in which you describe why you wish to do this research, why you aim at performing this specific research, what makes you pre-eminently suitable to perform this research and, if possible, which supervisor you have in mind
- a curriculum vitae
- a list of marks or results belonging to the bachelor and master degree (combine these into one file with the English language test)
- a letter of reference/ recommendation relevant for academic performance
- a certified English language test for non-Dutch speakers*
- a research proposal of max. 4 A4 (including footnotes but excluding bibliography) consisting of the following elements:
i. the introduction of the central question
ii. the central question
iii. The relevant literature
iv. the methodology
v. the plan of approach
vi. the way the research fits into the faculty’s research programmes.
* a certified language test: CPE, CAE, IELTS or TOEFL; (IELTS > 7.0, all section scores should at least be 6.5 plus a writing score of at least 7.0; TOEFL > 100, all section scores should at least be 23 plus a writing score of at least 25).
You are exempt from proving proficiency in English if you:
- are a native speaker and have completed secondary education in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia
- have already completed a bachelor and master programme in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia.
If English was the medium of instruction during your previous education, but you do not meet the above mentioned requirements for exemption, you are still required to prove your English proficiency by means of one of the tests as mentioned above.
Starting date 1 September/October 2019
Interviews with the selected candidates will take place in the last week of June 2019.
In addition to these three employee PhD positions we have three vacancies for PhD scholarships, please see the following page vacancy B007-09219E: https://www.rug.nl/education/phd-programmes/phd-scholarship-programme/phd-scholarships?details=00347-02S0006ZZP. If you do not have a preference at this moment, then you may apply for both positions and decide later on in the process.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code and European Commission's: European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers.
For additional information, please contact:
Marjolijn Both, MA (for practical information), Coordinator GGSL
Prof. Pauline Westerman, Director GGSL
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219207-09E