Junior lecturer in Global Economics & Management (GEM)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
Within the Department of Global Economics & Management (GEM), (University of Groningen, The Netherlands), we are looking for a junior lecturer (0.8 FTE). GEM is responsible for courses in International Economics and International Business for students in Bachelor and Master programs – at the Faculty of Economics and Business.
The new junior lecturer is expected to strengthen the educational component of the Department of GEM. The junior lecturer is a position focused on teaching, with 90% of the time allocated to teaching tasks, and 10% reserved for research and development activities. Therefore, we seek a candidate who is committed to excellence in teaching. Educational tasks can be fulfilled at the bachelor as well as the master level. You will supervise tutorial groups and bachelor thesis projects, and assist in grading of Bachelor and Master courses. There are also opportunities to contribute to the development of our blended teaching and the embedding of societal themes in our curricula. The specific tasks will depend on your own expertise and experience.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
To qualify, you…
• have a MSc degree in one of the Master programmes of GEM or a related discipline, preferably International Business, or are about to obtain one
• have experience as a student assistant or comparable work experience in an education environment
• are fluent in English
• have excellent communication, presentation, and teaching skills
• function well in an international environment
• have good interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully work both independently and in a team.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 36 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,226 to a maximum of € 5,090 gross per month for a full-time position (salary scale 10)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• an 0.8 FTE appointment for a period of three years, with an assessment requiring a positive evaluation at the end of the first year of employment
• the possibility to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ)
Starting date: 1 February 2024
Interested applicants should submit:
• a motivation letter
• a complete curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 26 November 11:59pm / before 27 November 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We will continue to recruit until all vacant positions are filled.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Rudi de Vries, Secretary of the search committee
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0744