Head of the Content Department (0.8-1.0 FTE)
University of Groningen Library (UB)
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen (UG) ranks among the best research universities in Europe and has an international focus. We are socially active and committed to our surroundings. Our staff put their academic passion to good use, researching and teaching in a wide range of fields. Everyone has the opportunity to develop their talents to the fullest. The talents, ambitions and achievements of the 35.000 students and 6.400 members of staff are rewarded wherever possible.
To find out more about the UG, visit: http://www.rug.nl/about-us
The University Library
The University of Groningen Library (UB) is the information hub of the University of Groningen (UG). As a centre of expertise and service provision, the UB is innovative, professional, and customer-oriented. The UB capitalizes on IT to boost the availability of information, promote research at the UG, and make academic work and knowledge open and accessible for future generations. The UB helps to enhance student success rates by providing facilities that are tailored to suit students’ needs.
The Content Department
The Content Department employs 19 members of staff, working in three teams. The Metadata team describes new acquisitions and work published by UG researchers. The Magazines and Acquisition team is responsible for processing and managing all of the magazines and journals, and acquiring physical books and e-books. The License Management team is involved in everything related to the organization of purchasing and making digital content available. The financial reports of collection budgets and the benchmark also fall under license management. Three team leaders are in charge of the day-to-day running of these teams.
The work within the department has changed significantly over the past few years, as a result of ongoing digitization and new demands made on the services being provided. New tasks have replaced some of the old tasks that have become less important or have been dispensed with. This process is set to continue in the years to come.
Who are you?
● You have experience of large-scale (administrative) projects, as a project leader, programme manager or commissioning party
● You have an overarching vision on delivering scientific content as well making it easy to find
● You are able to use your experience to help the department to optimize the way it responds to change
● You care about and feel responsible for the products and services that the department delivers, and you encourage this feeling of care and responsibility among your staff.
What you will be doing
● You will manage the department
● You will develop policy ideas and help to formulate departmental goals and UB policy
● You will represent the UB in university and national forums
● You will develop proposals for the optimal design of the department (organizational structure, task division and procedures)
● You will be responsible for gathering and analysing relevant information, such as key indicators
● You will safeguard the quality of the department’s products and services.
● the ability to think and work at university of applied sciences level
● demonstrable experience in the field of project management
● experience inspirational and loyal leadership, powers of conviction, organizational sensitivity and result-driven management
● good communication skills in both Dutch and English
● experience and/or an affinity with the world of academic teaching and research.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary based on qualifications and experience up to a maximum of € 5,439 (salary scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- an appointment for the duration of one year. After the agreed end date - depending on the outcome of the Result & Development interview and other (internal) circumstances - this employment may be converted into an employment contract for an indefinite period. The position is classified in accordance with the University Job Classification (UFO) system. The UFO profile is Departmental Manager 3.
Date of commencement: as soon as possible
Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 11 December 11:59pm / before 12 December 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Bert van Marum, Head of the Content Department (for questions about the job)
Ryanka Hazekamp, HR Advisor (for questions about the application procedure)
+31 6 29056017
drs. K.A. (Klaran) Visscher, Head of Users Services
+31 50 36 35002
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222785E