Teacher for (Applied) Mathematics programme (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7,000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the programmes in (Applied) Mathematics.
We are looking for a passionate math teacher who can strengthen our degree programmes in (Applied) Mathematics. The candidate is expected to teach math to non-math students within FSE (predominantly) and also to math students. The didactic structure of our math education is a hybrid of lecturing, tutorials and projects. New didactic concepts such as learning communities and blended learning are being implemented. A full list of the courses, including more information on their content, can be found in the university’s on-line course catalogue (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/).
The tasks of the teacher will include:
• give lectures and tutorials
• prepare and supervise projects
• supervise and guide Teaching Assistants
• contribute to the development of math education (learning communities, blended learning, e.g.).
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have a Master’s or PhD degree in (Applied) Mathematics or a related field
• have experience in teaching Mathematics at the University level (appropriate to your career stage, at least as Teaching Assistant)
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, projects, group work, etc.) is an asset
• have good command of spoken and written English (at least C2 level)
• are a team player with good communication skills
• are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
• have willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,790(salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
• an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities, including the UTQ (BKO) training.
Preferred start date: 1 September, in any case not later than 1 November
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application until 13 June 11:59pm / before 14 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place between 24 June and 1 July 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. R.W.C.P. Verstappen, for information about the position
+31 50 3633958
Dr. C.J.G. Onderwater, for other information
+31 50 3633557
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221344