Lecturer in Mathematics (0.5-1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen (UG), founded in 1614, is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, The Netherlands. Quality is our top priority since four hundred years. We are top 100 on several influential ranking lists. Our Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is one of the largest faculties with approximately 6,500 students. We have an international reputation and are AACSB and EQUIS accredited. We offer research driven education within 4 bachelor programmes, 14 master programmes, and 4 executive master programmes. Please visit the FEB website http://www.rug.nl/feb for more information about us and our research.
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance of our faculty is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Mathematics.
As a Lecturer, you will teach in the BSc of Econometrics and Operations Research (BSc EOR). During the past three years, this programme has attracted more than 150 first-year student enrollments each year. The department is also responsible for the subsequent MSc in Econometrics, Operations Research & Actuarial Studies, which attracts about 40 students on average each year.
You contribute to teaching and course development in the BSc EOR. You will primarily teach mathematics courses to first-year BSc EOR students. These courses cover topics related to calculus and mathematical analysis. You may also be asked to teach other courses, possibly in other programmes, such as statistics and probability theory. We give research time based on your research fit with the department.
• you have a PhD in Econometrics, Operations Research, Actuarial Science or (applied) Mathematics
• you have affinity with economic applications of mathematics
• you have experience in developing and teaching mathematics courses specifically designed for Econometrics and Operations Research
• you have excellent skills in terms of teaching, (course) organisation and communication
• you are able to bridge the gap between high-school mathematics and university-level mathematics as taught in the first year of our programme
• you possess a University Teaching Qualification or you are willing to obtain this qualification
• you are proficient in English.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,746 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,826 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income, an 8.3% year-end bonus and 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full time employment; favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
• an appointment for a period of two years. After two years, the appointment can be extended for another 1 or 2 years (dependent on developments within the faculty and growth in student enrollments).
We expect you to start as soon as possible
Do you meet the qualifications? Then, we invite you to apply with the following documents:
1. a motivation letter
2. a curriculum vitae
3. three letters of recommendation; you may send them by email to Mrs. Martine Koolman, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. your recent teaching evaluations
5. a short statement of your teaching accomplishments and future teaching goals.
You may apply for this position until 16 May 11:59 pm/ before 17 May 2021 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Niels Hermes, Head of the Department
Prof. Laura Spierdijk, Program Director BSc EOR
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221253