PhD position in Theoretical Cosmology (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an excellent international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. As one of the best research institutions in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge, situated in the vibrant city of Groningen in the north of The Netherlands.
The Van Swinderen Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity (VSI) of the Faculty of Science and Engineering has an opening for a PhD position. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Assistant Prof. Ema Dimastrogiovanni on topics in theoretical cosmology, including primordial gravitational waves, inflation, reheating, cosmic microwave background physics. Dr. Dimastrogiovanni's group currently includes two PhD students. Dr. Dimastrogiovanni is involved in the scientific activities of the LISA (Laser Interferometer Space Antenna) Consortium. The successful candidate will have access to a wide network of collaborators and will also be encouraged to become an active member of the Consortium.
The successful candidate for this PhD position will have the following qualifications:
• a Master’s degree in Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics, or related areas
• knowledge of basic cosmology, advanced cosmology is considered an asset
• knowledge of at least one programming code (Python preferred but not limited to)
• very good knowledge of written and spoken English
• very good communication skills.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a gross salary of 2,395 euros per month in the first year to a maximum of 3,061 euros per month in the final year (salary scale Promovendi), based on a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a position for four years. Each successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of the Faculty. The conditions of employment are available at the University of Groningen website under Human Resources: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/
You may apply for this position until 9 May 11:59 pm / before 10 May 2021 Dutch local time, by means of the application form (click on "Apply"' below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications for the position should include:
• motivation letter
• curriculum vitae (name, address, degree(s) with grades, research experience, educational and employment history, etc.)
• transcripts of grades
• name and email address of two professional references
• vacancy number of this position.
Applicant should also arrange for two letters of recommendation to be sent before the deadline to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Assistant Prof. Dimastrogiovanni
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221180