Head of the Content Department (0.8-1.0 FTE)
University of Groningen Library (UB)
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen (UG) ranks among the best research universities in Europe and has an international focus. We are socially active and committed to our surroundings. Our staff put their academic passion to good use, researching, and teaching in a wide range of fields. Everyone has the opportunity to develop their talents to the full. The talents, ambitions, and achievements of our 32,000 students and 5,600 staff are rewarded wherever possible.
To find out more about the UG, visit http://www.rug.nl/about-us
The Groningen University Library (UB - https://www.rug.nl/library/) is the UG’s information hub. As a centre of expertise and service provision, we are innovative, professionals with a focus on our customers. We improve ICT to increase the availability of information, to promote research being conducted at our university and to store academic work and knowledge for future generations. By providing facilities crafted to meet the needs of its students, we help to make studying more pleasurable and successful.
The Content Department
We employ 25 members of staff, working in three teams. The Management of Printed Collections team focuses on providing academic information from public collections and repositories (more than 3 million volumes). The Metadata team describes new acquisitions and work published by UG researchers. The Magazines and Acquisition team who process and manage all of the magazines and journals, and acquiring physical books and e-books. Three team leaders are in charge of the day-to-day running of these teams.
The work within the department has changed significantly over the past few years, as a result of ongoing digitisation and new demands made on the services being provided. This process is set to continue in the years to come.
There is also a chance that the UB repositories will be relocated. This would be a huge operation with major implications for the way the services are organised.
• manage the department
• play a meaningful role in developing and implementing the plans relating to the possible relocation of the repository collections
• develop policy ideas and help to formulate departmental goals and UB policy
• represent the UB in university and national fora
• develop proposals for the efficient design of the department (organisational structure, task division, and procedures)
• capture and analyse relevant information, such as key indicators
• safeguard the quality of the department’s services.
• you are an experienced manager with knowledge of logistic processes in the information world
• you have experience of large-scale projects, as a project leader, programme manager, or commissioning party
• you have a comprehensive view of supplying academic content
• you are able to use your experience to help the department to optimise the way it responds to change
• you care about and feel responsible for the products and services that the department delivers, and you encourage this feeling of care and responsibility among your staff.
• the ability to think and work at a university or university of applied sciences level
• proven experience in the field of project management
• experience in management, inspirational and committed leadership, powers of conviction, organisational sensitivity and management that focuses on results
• experience in logistic processes/repositories/management of printed collections
• good language skills in both Dutch and English
• experience and/or an affinity with the world of academic teaching and research.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary based on qualifications and experience up to a maximum of € 4,978 (salary scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
- an appointment for the duration of one year; a performance appraisal will be held after eight months, and if this is positive and you show your skills suitable, the appointment will be converted into a permanent one.
Date of commencement: as soon as possible
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 17 June 11:59pm / before 18 June 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Jan Herman Veldkamp, Head of UB Back Office Section (for questions about the job)
+31 50 3639019
Ryanka Hazekamp, HR Advisor (for questions about the application procedure),
+31 6 29056017
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220177E