Coordinating secretary (0.7-0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen was founded in 1614 and is one of the top 100 universities in the world. We offer a wide range of degree programmes in various disciplines, are socially active and have an international outlook. We have created a learning and working environment which is a perfect breeding ground for talent, ambition and achievement.
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) has around 6,500 students and 650 staff members, all of whom work together in an informal, collegial and inspiring academic community. Twenty-five percent of our students and staff members are international. FEB offers an ambitious, open and dynamic work environment and encourages its staff to be innovative. The Faculty has been awarded AACSB and EQUIS accreditations and thus belongs to the top 1% of business schools worldwide.
The Operations department is one of the largest operations research groups in Europe, focussing in particular on Operations Management, Supply Chain Management and Operations Research. The department has around 90 staff members and researchers.
In addition to the position of coordinating secretary, the team also has three other secretaries and an additional support staff member.
We are looking for a coordinating secretary to come and join our Operations department.
Although your team works independently, you are responsible for the day-to-day management and they should be able to rely on you to find solutions. The organization has a regular calendar of annually recurring activities and events, but every day is different. Since you will rarely be able to complete a task without being disturbed, you must be able to juggle your various activities and incoming questions. You should be able to switch between Dutch and English, both written and spoken, with ease. Every day, different types of staff members and students come to you and your team with all kinds of questions; you know exactly what to do and say to help them. You also recognize and appreciate the different styles and needs of your team and you know how to provide an excellent service. You use your knowledge of systems, processes and people to organize support as efficiently and effectively as possible. Where necessary, you come up with suggestions for improvement. You also have plenty of freedom to think proactively about development opportunities within the scope of the secretariat's activities. You have a clear overview of the tasks at hand or in the pipeline, and you know which tasks need to be tackled in the near future.
Where necessary, you also assist with HR and finance activities – and you feel ‘at home’ in these areas. You also want to work on your professional development, for example by following courses.
• you have preferably completed a University of Applied Science degree programme (HBO) or at least a vocational education (MBO+) programme plus a number of years of relevant experience in a similar position
• you have extensive experience (at least 3 years) in managing colleagues in a cohesive and constructive way
• you have a good command of English and Dutch, both written and spoken, or you have a good command of English and are willing to learn Dutch
• you have extensive experience in taking minutes during meetings (Dutch/English)
• you are an experienced user of Word and Excel; experience with different systems is an advantage
• your personality and skills fit in well with the job description above.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 maanden.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on your level of education and experience, of at least € 2,261 and a maximum of € 3,052 (scale 7) gross per month based on a full-time contract
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus over the annual gross income
• a temporary position for the period of one year; if you perform well and subject to staffing configurations, the temporary contract may be converted into a permanent contract.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
- an application letter
- a curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 18 November 11:59pm / before 19 November 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Only submissions via the application form will be considered.
The University of Groningen is an inclusive organization; it is a multi-faceted employer for all groups within society. We therefore welcome a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds and knowledge. Our selection procedure follows the principles of the Application Code of the Netherlands Association for Personnel Policy (NVP), http://kpz.nl/(...)application code.pdf
The interviews will be held on the morning of Wednesday 4 december 2019 or Thursday 5 december in the afternoon
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.T. van der Vaart, Head of department
+31 50 3637060.
Dr D.J. van der Zee,Team leader of the secretariat
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219523E