Lecturer Mathematics (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The Undergraduate School and Graduate School of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The Bachelor’s degree programmes in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics are embedded in the Undergraduate School. The Bachelor’s programmes are taught in English and open for international students. They have a strong academic basis and aim to provide a thorough research-oriented training. The didactic approach is a hybrid of lecturing, tutorials and projects. New didactic concepts such as learning communities are being implemented. Additionally, the mathematics programmes provide various courses (Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Numerical Methods, e.g.) for other degree programmes within FSE.
The Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a teaching position in the Bachelor’s programmes in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics.
The duties of the Lecturer will include:
• Give lectures and tutorials for several basic courses within the Bachelor’s programme (Applied) Mathematics and/or math courses within other degree programmes. A full list of math courses, including more information on their content, can be found in the university’s on-line course catalog (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/).
• prepare and supervise projects
• contribute to the development of learning communities
• supervise and guide Teaching Assistants
• have the opportunity for further professionalization (approximately 10% of the position).
Teaching at the Faculty of Science and Engineering is research-infused. For this reason, you will be affiliated with a matching research group within the Mathematics Department.
What we expect of you:
• a PhD degree in (Applied) Mathematics;
• experience in teaching (Applied) Mathematics at the University level (at least as Teaching Assistant);
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, projects, group work, etc.) is an asset;
• proficiency in English at the C2 level;
• competences: cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills;
• a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) or the willingness to obtain this within a year.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 2.709 up to a maximum of € 4.978 gross per month (scale 10/11), depending on qualifications and experience background, for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for initially one year. After a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview, an extension with another year is possible
• for this position, the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 4/3 depending on qualifications and background.
Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can find them here.
You can apply for this position by sending the curriculum vitae and motivation letter. The application can be send by clicking on "Apply" below the advertisement on the university website until 18 November 11:59pm (Dutch local time) / before 19 November. The selection interviews will take place in week 48 (25-30 November 2019)
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. R.W.C.P. Verstappen
+31 50 3633958
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219563