Assistant Professor of English and English as a second language (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
University of Groningen
Embedded within the University of Groningen, the Faculty of Arts is one of the larger faculties, comprising over 5,000 students and 700 employees. Our department of English Language and Culture is a dynamic academic community. It has finished as the top degree programme for several years running. We are recruiting an Assistant Professor to complete our team.
You will prepare, oversee and teach (new) courses within the BA degree programme of English Language & Culture and the chair group of English Linguistics & English as a second language specifically. You may also be asked to teach courses in several MA programmes, such as Applied Linguistics and the Research Master Language & Cognition. You will do research and supervise our undergraduate, master and PhD students. You will develop new ideas in research, and your record will allow you to acquire funding (independently or jointly) for future (teaching-oriented) research. We offer you a position with 60% of your time for teaching (including administration) and 40% research.
• you have a PhD in Linguistics, and are ideally a graduate of English Language & Culture. We are open to all academic research profiles related to English language studies. We highly value familiarity with corpora of spoken and written English. You are able to teach all first and second-year mandatory English Linguistics modules and are willing to do so flexibly. This includes modules in English phonology, morphology, syntax, lexicon, and semantics, but also research tools in English linguistics. As such, we expect you to be familiar with statistical analysis (tools), including R
• you are a native or near-native speaker of English
• you have ample teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, Basic Education qualification) or are willing to obtain one within two years. You have a proven record as an excellent and innovative teacher (as evidenced by student evaluations). Experience in teaching English for Academic Purposes courses is an asset
• you are a strong researcher, as evidenced by your publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and (invited) conference talks and should be able to supervise PhD students
• you are keen to pursue research funding grants
• you are committed to working in a team and willing to actively contribute to the strengthening of the English Language & Culture community
• knowledge of Dutch or ability to learn Dutch within a reasonable period of time may be one of the conditions for tenure (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking within two years).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3.637 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5.656 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. We offer 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time employment
- an appointment on temporary basis for 4 years.
We comply to the conditions of employment of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointee will commence as soon as possible, but before the start of the second semester (February 2020).
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, you can fill in the application form and upload 4 PDF files (all of which should be in English):
1. a cover letter
2. a CV
3. a brief description of scientific interests and plans and a statement about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total): you can upload this under “extra document” on the website
4. an appropriate writing sample, preferably a recent paper that you authored as first author including a list of five self-selected “best papers”; the complete list of publications and the names and contact details of two referees.
You can submit your application until 8 September 11.59pm / before 9 September 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place in the third week of September 2019. Appointment will then follow as soon as possible.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Merel Keijzer, Chair of the chair group English Linguistics & English
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219401