Research and Education Assistant in Mechatronics and Embedded software (1,0 fte)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 30,000 students and researchers to develop their individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe, the top 100 universities in the world and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), the ENgineering and TEchnology institute Groningen (ENTEG, see https://www.rug.nl/research/enteg/) conducts engineering science research and covers a broad area of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, biotechnology and information technology. The research unit Discrete Technology and Production Automation (DTPA) is focused on the dynamical modeling, analysis and systems engineering of complex electro-mechanical systems. The application areas include smart energy systems, mechatronic systems, robotic systems, as well as, multi-agent autonomous systems. The research unit Smart Manufacturing Systems (SMS) is focused on the modeling and control of complex systems by nonlinear dynamics and large-scale dimensions and their interaction with communication media and computational devices. Examples of these systems are found in manufacturing systems, distribution networks, supply chains and formation control systems.
The research groups Discrete Technology & Production Automation and Smart Manufacturing systems and the Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering have a vacancy for a Research and Education Assistant who will support both the teaching and research activities in both research groups, as well as, in the educational study programme of Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM). This includes technical supports for PhD students and postdoc staffs from both research groups and supervision of both bachelor and master students from IEM.
In particular, he/she will:
• provide instruction and supervise BSc students in the Industrial Engineering and Management programme
• advise and offer technical support to MSc and PhD students from DTPA and SMS
• set up of practicals and participate in teaching and lab experiments
• coordination of lab experiments for courses such as Control Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, Introduction IEM, etc.
• design methods, techniques and equipment for research
• install and maintain software on lab computers and solve issues with lab equipment
• represent DTPA, SMS and IEM at relevant engineering fairs, and provide support in contacts with industry.
• master’s degree in Computing Science, Electrical Engineering, or another related engineering education, or a bachelor's degree in the same fields with additional relevant experience
• expert knowledge with embedded software development in C and Linux
• experience with Python, Matlab and ROS (preferable)
• able to communicate in English and Dutch (or have the ability to learn)
• a dynamic, creative and pioneering professional attitude
• the ability to work independently and with colleagues
• a problem solving ability
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
• enjoys working with young people of several educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.The University of Groningen offers a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience with a minimum of € 2,709 (salary scale 9 Dutch Universities) up to a maximum of € 4,084 gross per month (scale 10) for a full-time position. This position is initially for one year. After one year, indefinite extension is possible if mutual agreeable.
You may apply for this position by sending your curriculum vitae and motivation letter. This position will be vacant till we will find a qualified candidate. Please send your application as soon as possible when you would like to apply by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.M.A. Scherpen
+31 50 3638791,
Prof. B. Jayawardhana
+31 50 3637156,
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 217260E