Assistant Professor Planning and Spatial Modelling (1.0 fte)
University of Groningen
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG) consists of 95 members of staff and focuses on high quality teaching and research in the fields of spatial planning, economic and cultural geography and demography. The research theme of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences is 'Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation'. The mission is to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two Bachelor and eight Master programs, the faculty offers a wide range of courses within the field to about 900 students.
The faculty has the intention to appoint an assistant-professor on the relationship between Urban Planning, institutional design and spatial modelling. This position aims to establish cross-linkages between contemporary spatial design, urban development, and the fast increase of digital possibilities, and what this means for planning interventions, institutional design, and democratic decision-making processes within the urban. The assistant-professor will be based in the Department of Spatial Planning and Environment.
The Department of Spatial Planning and Environment has a strong desire to relate its research and educational programmes to spatial modelling and digital developments. The Department want to emphasize transformations within the urban based on information generation mechanisms and data collection (both small and big) The Department considers the digital era an opportunity, of which it wants to be part. The Department aims therefore to develop and enhancing further methods and means in support of its research and lecturing programmes. The assistant professor should be committed and capable to contribute to these proposed developments, while building on a strong knowledge of spatial and institutional development and design.
With regard to research and lecturing, the Assistant Professor:
• takes on lectures and teaching activities on issues relating to spatial and institutional design, in existing courses, the Bach. and MSc Programs in Spatial Planning
• will take part in mentoring and evaluating thesis work by students
• will be supportive to developing a laboratory environment (atelier, studio, etc.) for research and education purposes
• has an interest in digital possibilities, techniques and methods to enhance lecturing and research
• integrates research with teaching
• develops a research agenda which is in line with the Faculty and Department research focus
• helps establish cross linkages in the Faculty through collaborative publications on existing research on spatial and institutional design
• helps develop research proposals and collaborative projects on these themes
• assists in the supervision of PhD students.
With regard to managerial, administrative and other tasks, the Assistant Professor:
• creates and maintains a platform of interaction between research within URSI on issues of spatial and institutional design
• contributes to profiling our work on vulnerability and coastal issues, also in collaboration with on-going partnerships
• will take a responsibility in one or more Faculty committees related to the educational programs
• represents the Faculty at various events.
Overall, the Assistant Professor:
• will invest 40% of the time in research, and another 60% in education.
• a PhD in the wider field of spatial planning, spatial modelling, urbanism, landscape architecture, geography, policy development
• possession of an university teaching qualification or preparedness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• knowledge of the academic debate on spatial and institutional design, a strong drive to taking part in this debate, and a proven interest in theoretical and / or methodological issues
• proven skills in virtual realities, social media and digital options supporting spatial development and institutional design
• experience in scientific research and proven capabilities in publishing at an international academic level
• fluent in English and Dutch or the willingness to learn Dutch.
Competences of the Assistant Professor: conceptual capacity, environment orientation, strong and positive presentation, result orientation, supportive to the team.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.
The University of Groningen offers a salary that will be between € 3,068 ( scale 10.4) gross per month and € 4,691 (max. scale 11) gross per month based on the experience of the candidate. The salary is based on the salary scale for Assistant Professor at Dutch universities and in accordance with the collective agreement regulating employment conditions at Dutch universities. The full time position is temporary for a specified period of five years, a formal evaluation will follow after one year. Starting date: as soon as possible. Application You may apply for this position until 5 January 12.00 pm / before 6 January 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Please submit your application in English. Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Maximum salary: 4691.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Gert de Roo
+31 50 3633895,
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 216195H
Digital application form