Associate/Full Professor Mathematics (1.0 fte)
University of Groningen
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 30,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe, the top 100 universities in the world and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
The Johann Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science (JBI) of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a vacancy for a Full/Associate Professor in mathematics. JBI offers excellent opportunities for conducting research in the broad interdisciplinary area between mathematics and its applications. We seek a new faculty member with a high potential for developing an internationally recognized research line within a subfield of mathematics. There is flexibility with respect to the specific research area in mathematics of the candidate, but we encourage particularly candidates within the general scope of the subdisciplines Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Stochastics.
- excellent research qualities and a clear and productive original line of research in the above mentioned subject area, as evidenced by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and corresponding citations, international experience, invitations to renowned conferences, and a relevant international network
- ample (and recent) experience as PhD supervisor
- international recognition as, for example, evidenced by involvement in professional societies, policy or programme committees or editorial boards of relevant journals
- teaching and organizational experience (including curriculum organization) appropriate to career stage
- evidence of successful acquisition of external funding appropriate to career stage.
- a team player with good communications skills
- open to collaborations with other scientific areas; in particular a strong involvement in the cross-disciplinary research theme Data Science and Systems Complexity is expected
- in possession of the University Teaching Qualification (or willing to fulfill the requirements for this qualification)
- willing to learn the Dutch language.
Conditions of employment
The appointment of Associate/Full Professor will be a tenured appointment. The University of Groningen offers dependent on qualifications and work experience a salary from € 4,712 up to a maximum of € 6,299 (salary scales 13/14 Dutch Universities) gross per month for a fulltime position. An assessment at the end of a 4-7 years period will take place for the promotion to full professor. The appointment of Full Professor will be a tenured appointment. The University of Groningen offers dependent on qualifications and work experience a salary from €5,219 up to a maximum of €7,599 (salary scale H2 Dutch Universitites) gross per month for a fulltime position. In addition to the primary salary the University offers 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. The University of Groningen provides career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen. The University of Groningen has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Applications Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including: - a letter of motivation - a Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications - a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’ - a statement about teaching goals and experience and a description of scientific interest and plans - the names of three references complete with title and contact information. You may apply for this position until 22 September / before 23 September 2016 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on this advertisement on the University website). Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Maximum salary: 5288.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.B.T.M. Roerdink, director of the Johann Bernoulli Institute
+31 50 3633931,
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 216210
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:
About the research institute
The document Career Paths in Science edition 3
Digital application form