Technician for the lab Genetic Instability, Ageing and Cancer
The European Research Institute for the Biology of Ageing (ERIBA)
The European Research Institute for the Biology of Ageing (ERIBA: www.eriba.umcg.nl) is a newly established research institute at the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG). The central theme at the ERIBA is the molecular mechanism of (cellular) ageing. We aim to identify physiological and molecular changes that can explain the loss of cells and functional decline of cells and tissues with age. For this, we make use of state of the art technology and a variety of model organisms. Furthermore, we heavily invest in Systems Biology to integrate our findings in the various mechanisms of ageing that have been proposed. The ERIBA is housed in a brand new building and part of the central UMCG campus in central Groningen, a small (200,000 inhabitants) but vibrant city (with over 25,000 students) in the north of the Netherlands.
We are currently looking for a technician (1,0 fte) in the lab of prof. Peter Lansdorp (Genetic Instability, Ageing and Cancer).
You will be part of the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) team in the Department of Ageing of the UMCG. Responsibilities include:
- Manual and robotic sample preparation for various applications
- Preparation of cells for single cell sorting by flow cytometry
- Carrying out routine tasks accurately and in strict compliance with basic protocols for laboratory procedures
- Diligently and accurately keeping records and reporting results to team leads, supervisors, as necessary
- Performing weekly assigned lab jobs e.g. maintaining inventory, equipment maintenance, data entry, etc.
- Contributing to writing, amending, and reviewing SOPs, lab worksheets and validation reports.
Wat vragen wij
The position requires the knowledge and skills normally acquired through completion of the BS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or related field with up to one year of relevant experience. The technician will be part of a young and enthusiastic research group. We are looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
- Experience in a wide variety of state of the art techniques
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing desirable, but not mandatory
- Familiar with (automatic) lab registration and office applications
- An accurate, enthusiastic team player who can troubleshoot but doesn’t mind carrying out routine tasks
- A flexible attitude
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. You may be required to build up sufficient protection against Hepatitis B before you can be appointed. Vaccination is provided by the UMCG if necessary.
Wat bieden wij
The employment basis is a temporary contract for one year with an extension possibility.
Your salary will be a maximum of € 2.950,- gross per month (scale 7), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience, based on a full-time appointment.
In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay, an 8.3% end-of-year bonus and a development budget. The terms of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centers (CAO-UMC).
For more information see http://www.eriba.umcg.nl or contact:
Peter Lansdorp, Scientific Director ERIBA
Telephone: +31 (0)50 3617300
Diana Spierings, Research Associate
Telephone: + 31 (0)6 52724861
(please do not use emailadresses fot applications)
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:
The European Research Institute for the Biology of Ageing
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed.
You can apply until 30 October 2016.
Immediately after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.