Education/Research Officer in Robotics (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7,200 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the AI bachelor and Master programmes, which includes, – among others – education in Robotics, covering the broad area of mechatronics (electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, control engineering, and system engineering).
The vacancy constitutes an educational and technical support function in a university educational- and research environment. The applicant will work in close collaboration with the teachers and researchers of the Robotics Labs of the Department of Artificial Intelligence and will formally bear responsibility to the School/Research directors. The educational aspect of the job will consist of supporting the teachers and lecturers in robotics and supporting the robotics related practicals and projects in the lab. The technical aspects will concern responsibility for installation and maintenance of facilities in the Robotics labs, which consist of commercial, as well as self-developed robotic platforms and related computer hard- and software.
Specifically, the duties include:
• Support the teaching activities of the programmes in Artificial Intelligence especially in relation to the robotics courses. This consists of technical duties in assisting and instructing bachelor and master students during the Robotics practicals of the robotics courses, and supporting student/PhD projects who use the Lab facilities
• Responsible for designing protocols and preparing instruction manuals for use of the lab’s facilities and specific equipment in the Robotics labs, also with regard to safety etc
• Maintenance of the Robotics labs, ensuring the smooth operation of the labs and instrumentation, also in relation to specific computer hard- and software
• Ordering new facilities, consumables, etc. and taking care of installation of (new) robotics platforms
• Keeping an overview of developments in Robotics and related platforms in cooperation with teachers, researchers and group members of the Autonomous Perceptive Systems group
• Support the Faculty’s and AI-programmes’ Robotics outreach activities.
The successful candidate should have:
• a Master's degree, either from a university of applied sciences (hbo) or an academic university (wo), in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, or related engineering education
• experience with embedded software development in C/C++ and Linux
• experience with Python and ROS
• experience in the CAD design for manufacturing (PTC Creo, Solidworks, or equivalent)
• hands-on demonstrated skills in designing/assembling/testing/installing/maintaining robotics platforms (hardware and software)
• demonstrated skills in technical problem solving
• pro-active mindset and results-oriented attitude
• ability to work independently and flexible attitude towards cooperating with others
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
• enjoy working with young people of several educational backgrounds
• good communication skills and willingness to integrate with an international group
• possibly experience in teaching and technical support.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience with a minimum of € 3,377 up to a maximum of € 4,640 gross per month (salary scale 9) for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance. Minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
- a position initially for one year. After one year, indefinite extension is possible if mutually agreeable.
Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
- letter of application
- curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 18 October 11:59 pm / before 19 October 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). This position will be vacant till a qualified candidate is found.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr F. Cnossen, Director of Education AI
Prof. R. Carloni, Professor in Robotics
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0292