Project Manager in EU-funded MSCA Doctoral Network (0.5 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global center of knowledge. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position will be integrated in the research group Chemical and Pharmaceutical Biology (CPB) within the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP). CPB consists of an enthusiastic group of researchers from different parts of the world. The scientific staff currently includes two full professors, one associate professor, and two assistant professors. In addition, two postdocs, four technicians and >25 PhD students are members of the research group. A strong research focus of CPB is on the creation of superior biocatalysts for the sustainable production of pharmaceuticals.
We offer a 3-year Project Manager position (part-time) for the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) doctoral network project BIODECCODINNG (Decoding novel reaction chemistries in biocatalysis – Training Europe’s next visionaries for a sustainable future), funded by the European Union’s Horizon Europe Research and Innovation Programme (grant agreement No. 101073065).
The project is established by world-leading experts from European academic institutions and industrial partners that will together implement the research and training agenda. The project will employ 10 PhD students, hosted by several Universities and research institutions from all over Europe, including University of Groningen (NL), University of Göttingen (DE), Ruhr-University Bochum (DE), Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH (DE), University of Graz (AT), University of Zagreb (HR) and Catalonia Institute for Advanced Chemistry (ES). The candidate will interact with all the institutions involved in the project.
Scientifically, the project BIODECCODINNG aims to decode novel reaction chemistries from enzymes that are currently not accessible with the existing biocatalyst portfolio for building important molecules such as precursors for pharmaceuticals. Expanding the toolbox of available biocatalysts enabling novel reactions not yet accessible with the existing enzymes is a formidable challenge, but will open exciting new avenues for applications in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. The main goal of the BIODECCODINNG doctoral network is to train and educate Europe’s next 10 visionaries for a sustainable future on cutting-edge enzyme technology centered around novel enzymatic reactions, and to tackle technology gaps, practical challenges, as well as to exploit synthetic opportunities with huge innovation potential.
As a Project Manager you will be responsible for the daily management and implementation of the EU project under the direct supervision of the project coordinator Dr Sandy Schmidt (https://myuniversity.rug.nl/infonet/medewerkers/profiles/s.schmidt/) at the University of Groningen (NL). You will play a pivotal liaison role with all internal and external stakeholders within this initiative, spanning all Work Packages (WPs) and tasks related to the projects’ initiative implementation, including:
• monitoring the overall progress regarding milestones and deliverables
• operationalisation and timing of all activities in the project
• acting as the centre of communication between all internal and external stakeholders
• assisting all WP and Task Leaders in their timely delivery of project outcomes and reporting requirements and manage associated budgets
• assisting in the organization of project meetings and training schools
• coordinating the preparation of deliverables, including the technical interim and final reports.
This role presents an exciting opportunity for a project manager to lead on the implementation of this EU project in close cooperation with the partners from the other institutions, internal stakeholders and the financial and business management team at University of Groningen.
The position will be implemented in the Department of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Biology (https://www.rug.nl/research/grip/cpb/) within the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP) of the University of Groningen (NL).
We are looking for a highly motivated, proactive and organized individual with a scientific background related to the projects research agenda (on PhD level) and a demonstrated experience in managing projects. We will value experience in managing European Research projects such as MSCA - Innovative Training Networks (ITNs), however, this is not a must. The candidate will be integrated into an international team, thus good communication skills and team working capabilities are required.
Your profile includes:
• PhD degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology or related field
• very good organisational and planning skills with the ability to coordinate information and processes involving multiple people/teams
• good interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels within the organisation, listen to and influence others
• good IT Skills to support project delivery e.g., MS Office suite
• very good written and oral communications skills, with the ability to work and communicate with a wide range of audiences in different stakeholder groups
• high level of English, both written and oral.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 36 months.In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, we offer you:
• a salary of minimum € 2,960 to maximum € 4,670 gross per month (salary scale 10), depending on your knowledge and experience
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
• part-time working contract (ideally 0.5 FTE) limited to 3 years. It’s a challenging and inspiring international work environment with ample opportunities for personal and professional development.
Starting date: as soon as possible
The conditions of employment: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Applications for the position should include (as a single PDF file):
• cover letter with background and motivation to apply for this position
• curriculum vitae, including details of relevant degrees and working experience
• names and contact details of three referees willing to write confidential letters of recommendation
• copies of relevant diplomas including explanation of international grades.
You may apply until 14 December 11:59pm / before 15 December 2022 Dutch local time (CET) for this position by means of the online application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Sandy Schmidt
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222759
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:University of Groningen Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy