Tenure Track Assistant Professor (education profile) in Computational Biology
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and excellent research in a wide range of subject areas, from classical ones such as mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry and biology, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, computer science, pharmacy and materials science. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB), one of the larger institutes of the faculty. GBB provides an excellent environment for ground-breaking research and comprises thirteen creative research units in biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, molecular and cell biology, computational and systems biology, genetics, and microbiology. Research in GBB is organized in two focal areas: ‘Molecular Mechanisms of Biological Processes’ and ‘Physiology and Systems Biology’.
We are looking for a tenure track Assistant Professor with an educational profile, who will teach computational courses and integrate computational skills in existing courses with the aim to create learning lines in the use of modern computational methods throughout the BSc curricula in Life Science and Technology, Chemistry and (possibly) Biology. The candidate is expected to use creative modern computational concepts such as artificial intelligence and machine learning to model biological molecules, protein-ligand interactions, up to metabolic pathways and cells.
Next to the strong emphasis on teaching, a computational biology research line can be pursued. For this, the candidate will become embedded in a matching GBB research group (e.g. Molecular Dynamics, Biotransformation and Biocatalysis, Molecular Systems Biology).
The envisioned research preferably complements current research at GBB, for instance the research headed by Siewert-Jan Marrink (Molecular dynamics), Marco Fraaije (computational protein design), Matthias Heinemann (Metabolix flux analysis/modelling), or Cristina Paulino (Protein structure determination). There are ample opportunities for local collaboration with computational scientists at the Stratingh Institute for Chemistry (e.g. Remco Havenith), Zernike Institute for Materials Science (e.g. Shirin Faraji), and the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (e.g. Lambert Schomaker, Jos Roerdink).
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
• teach in the degree programmes Life Science and Technology (BSc), Chemistry (Bsc and MSc), Biomolecular Sciences (MSc), and possibly Biology (BSc)
• play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme levels
• Contribute to one or more running research line(s), or develop your own research line or within the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB)
• contribute to the supervision of PhD students in one of the GBB research groups
• contribute to the organization of the institute or faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in Computational Biology or a PhD with a strong computational component in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular or Structural Biology, or a related field
• passion and talent for teaching and education development
• experience with teaching
• a solid research track record, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and/or proceedings of renowned conferences
• at least 2 years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
• demonstrable competences in organization
• good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
• able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
• a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
Contractduur: 84 months.We offer you a full-time tenure track position as Assistant Professor and:
• a salary, depending on qualifications, work experience and your career stage, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
• a starting package of k€40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
• holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 or 0.8 FTE)
• a personal development trajectory and a mentor programme
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Please consult our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consult the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure- track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application (as individual PDF files) including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of at least two references
• a statement on your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes (max 2 pages A4)
• a description of your scientific interest and plans and how this connects to current research at GBB (max 2 pages A4).
You may apply for this position until 29 September 11:59pm / before 30 September 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in October 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Voor meer informatie over deze vacature kunt u contact opnemen met:
Prof. Dirk-Jan Scheffers, Director of Education GBB and executive Chair for this position
+31 50 3632319
Noemt u in uw sollicitatie altijd het vacaturenummer 222437
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail Research institute and related research at the GBB The city of Groningen