Lecturer Public International Law / Docent Internationaal Publiekrecht (1,0 fte)
Faculty of Law
University of Groningen
Since its founding in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. We encourage the 36,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Among the best research universities in Europe, we join forces with prestigious partner universities and networks around the world, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
The Faculty of Law (https://www.rug.nl/rechten/) is a modern (inter)nationally-oriented Faculty with a broad and classic profile. While it has a four hundred year old tradition, it keeps renewing its teaching continually to educate broadly-oriented and skilled lawyers. The Faculty’s research to a large extent transcends legal fields and is multidisciplinary in nature. With nearly 5000 students and nearly 400 staff members, the Faculty is a mid-sized Faculty in the University of Groningen.
The Department of Transboundary Legal Studies (https://www.rug.nl/rechten/organisatie/vakgroepen/transboundary-legal-studies/), teaches courses in various field, including in international law, as part of bachelor and master programmes. To strengthen our teaching and research capacity, the Department has a vacancy for a lecturer in Public International Law to be filled at short notice.
The prospective lecturer will have the following, primarily teaching responsibilities:
• teaching of public international law courses in bachelor and master programmes
• (assist in) teaching in other areas of law within TLS (in particular technology law, legal philosophy, and legal theory)
• supervising bachelor and master theses in public international law;
• assisting in the organization, coordination and implementation of summer courses and moot courts
• conducting research ancillary to the teaching activities.
The following requirements apply to the post:
• demonstrable broad knowledge of public international law
• a (nearly completed) PhD degree, preferably based on a thesis in public international law
• relevant teaching experience
• possession of a basic university teaching qualification or preparedness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• demonstrable organizational and communicative skills
• fluency in English
• the ability to teach in Dutch will be an advantage
• willingness to relocate to Groningen as teaching will take place in the classroom as much as possible.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 maanden.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a minimum salary of € 2,836 (scale 10) and a maximum salary of € 5,211 (scale 11) gross a month on a fulltime basis in accordance with your experience
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
The post will initially be for a fixed term period of one year.
Starting date: 1 November 202
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 19 September 11:59pm / before 20 September 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews (online) will be scheduled between 22 and 28 September 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. M.M.T.A. Brus
+31 6 38003768
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221535
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Prospective staff Profile organization Research programmes Faculty of Law