Lecturer for Bachelor programme (Applied) Physics (2.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7,000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the programmes of Physics and Applied Physics.
We are looking for several motivated and enthusiastic lectures who can strengthen the existing lecturing team of the degree programmes in Physics and Applied Physics.
The tasks of the lecturer will include, depending on the interests and experience of the candidates:
• teaching, tutoring and grading course modules in the Bachelor’s programme in (Applied) Physics
• facilitating and coordinating communications between instructors, teaching assistants (TAs), and students
• contributing to developing and assessing exams
• coordinating activities related to the TAs and their tasks
• developing active learning activities for tutorials
• running tutorial classes
• developing and implementing simulation-based learning in courses, tutorials, and practicals (in collaboration with the lecturer of the course).
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have a PhD or Master’s degree in the area of (Applied) Physics or a related field
• have excellent teaching skills
• preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
• have strong affinity with the development of physics course materials OR with physics computer simulations
• have good command of spoken and written English
• are a team player with good communication skills
• are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment.
Preferred start date: 1 September, in any case not later than 1 November.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
• an appointment for one year that will be extended by two years if you perform well
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities, including the UTQ (BKO) training.
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
You can submit your application until 13 June 11:59pm / before 14 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will take place in week 21-25 June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. D. Roest, Programme Director BSc Physics & Applied Physics (info about the position)
+31 50 36 39042
Dr Gerco Onderwater, Director School of Science and Engineering
+31 50 36 33557
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221336-37