Teacher in Computational Linguistics for AI and Human Machine (0.7-0.9 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a replacement teacher in the Bachelor’s programme Artificial Intelligence and the Master’s degree programme in Human Machine Communication, due to sick leave. The teaching staff in these programmes is associated with the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes, teaching is in English, promoting an international setting and with a focus on research-driven teaching.
The duties of the Teacher will include, depending on the interests and experience of the candidates:
• teaching, tutoring and grading course modules in the Bachelor’s programme in Artificial Intelligence and the Master’s degree programme in Human Machine Communication (which will be named Computational Cognitive Science from September 2021 onwards). The course modules to be taught include General Linguistics, Language and Speech Technology, Language Modeling, Advanced Statistical Modeling, but depending on interest and experience may also include other topics in AI and Language (e.g. Natural Language Processing, etc.)
• instructing, advising, supervising and grading Bachelor’s and Master’s students (requires PhD) during their research projects on topics in Language and AI
• assisting other staff members in their teaching where needed
• recruiting, selecting and managing Teaching Assistants (students) for your course modules.
Part of the appointment includes time for professionalisation activities (up to 10%, which may include contributing to research).
The successful candidate should:
• have a PhD or Master’s degree (a PhD is preferred), preferably in Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, Human Machine Communication, Cognitive Science, or a related field
• have excellent teaching skills
• be fluent in English
• preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
• possess cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communicative skills
• preferably possess - or have the willingness to fulfil the requirements of - a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO)
• have willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience from a minimum of € 2,709 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of 5,127 (scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees; favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
• an appointment for one year
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a complete curriculum vitae (CV attachment)
• motivation letter (motivation letter attachment).
You can submit your application until 20 June 11:59pm / before 21 June 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr F. Cnossen, Director of Education Ba/Ma Artificial Intelligence/Human-Machine Communication
+3150 363 6336.
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221302
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:About us