Full Professor in Corporate Finance (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance is the largest Department of the Faculty of Economics and Business with almost 130 staff members and over 50 PhD students.
The Department offers a bachelor programme in Economics and Business Economics and a bachelor programme in Econometrics and Operations Research. In addition, it offers master programmes in Finance, International Financial Management, Economics, and Econometrics, Operations and Actuarial Sciences. In all these programmes, Finance courses are offered. The Department further offers a broad range of Finance courses in the two other bachelor’s programmes of the Faculty. Finally, the Department also actively participates in the Research Master programme, offering Finance courses to research master and PhD students.
The chair in Corporate Finance is part of the Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance. The new professor will participate in the research programme Economics, Econometrics and Finance of the research school SOM.
The chair will contribute to high-quality research and education in corporate finance. This field includes topics such as capital budgeting, corporate financing policy, financial risk and risk management, capital and ownership structure, valuation of firms, mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructuring, and pay-out policies. The professor contributes by conducting and stimulating cutting-edge research on at least some of these corporate finance topics. The professor also collaborates with researchers in the field of asset pricing, as for some of the topics in corporate finance can make valuable contributions. The professor can also contribute to research in fields closely related to corporate finance, such as corporate governance.
The position encompasses the regular duties of a professor in the areas of teaching, research and help with administration.
The duties include:
• contributing to bachelor’s and master’s programmes, including lecturing and coordinating courses, and the supervision of bachelor and master theses. Moreover, the professor is expected to contribute in the teaching and coordination of finance (and related) courses in other programmes offered by the Faculty and contribute to the Research Master programme, as well as to teaching in the Executive Master programmes of University of Groningen Business School (UGBS)
• contributing to course development and the development of the bachelor and the master programmes
• contributing to building an international reputation and network of the Department, specifically in the area of corporate finance
• supervising PhD students, mentoring tenure track candidates, and acquiring external funding from the Dutch Research Council (NWO) and other sources
• contributing to the research programme of the Department, and in particular to finance research within the programme
• playing a prominent role in stimulating research collaborations with adjacent fields and research groups and programmes in the Faculty, such as research in the theme Leadership and Governance
• actively contribute to creating a positive climate within the Department and the Faculty.
• has a PhD degree and is renowned in the field of corporate finance
• has a track record of outstanding academic research and teaching in corporate finance
• is internationally recognised as an authority in corporate finance
• contributes with her/his research to society
• provides leadership, motivation and supervision to other staff members and has strong management qualities, evidenced by previous management roles
• is able to acquire external funding for applied research contracts as well as PhD students, evidenced by a strong track record in acquiring funding in the (recent) past
• has a wide, relevant national and international network, including connections to the corporate world, national, foreign and supra-national governmental institutions, international financial organisations, and researchers and research groups in finance.
Conditions of employmentThe chair is a full-time position at the level of full professor. We offer a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from € 5,749 (salary scale H2) to a maximum of € 8,371 gross salary per month for a full-time position, excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax treatment may apply to Non-Dutch applicants.
We provide a career advisory service for partners of new staff who move to Groningen.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
∙ a full curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications
∙ a letter of motivation.
You can submit your application until 29 April 11:59 pm / before 30 April 2021 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code European Commission's European Code of Conduct: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. P.C. Verhoef, Dean of the Faculty
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 221171