Teachers for Computing Science programme (3.2-4.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6,000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The School of Science and Engineering has several vacancies for teachers in the Computing Science degree programmes (Bachelor’s and Master’s). For these programs the teaching staff is mostly associated with the Department of Computing Science of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes teaching is conducted in English, promoting an international setting and has a focus on research-driven education.
The programmes are growing and we are preparing to confront current and future challenges in education. We are looking for bright individuals who are committed to delivering inspiring, high-quality education in a dynamic and international environment.
You will be given the opportunity of joining an existing research unit at the Bernoulli Institute, and to contribute to targeted educational efforts, depending on your interests, experience, and ambitions.
Moreover, you will:
• deliver existing modules in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in Computing Science, e.g., software programming, algorithms and data structures, theoretical computing science, software engineering, computer architectures, distributed systems, artificial intelligence; for the full list of courses, please consult the course catalogue (https://www.rug.nl/ocasys/fwn/main/programmeSearchResults?keywords=computing+science&faculty=fwn&pLevelRestrictionsState=1&pLevels=4193&pLevels=4194&pLangRestrictionsState=0&new=1&pOptionsState=block)
• develop new course materials and methods
• supervise Bachelor’s and Master’s students during their research projects on topics in Computing Science
• take part in the programme’s outreach, management, and informational activities
• participate in training and professionalization activities, in coordination with your supervisor.
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have a PhD or a Master’s degree, preferably in Computing Science, or a related field
• have excellent teaching skills
• are fluent in English
• preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
• possess cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communicative skills
• have willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on level of experience with a minimum of € 2,790 (salary scale 10) up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• an appointment for one year, with possibility of extension for one more year, depending on the developments within the organization and a positive evaluation during the Result and Development Interview;
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience.
Applications are allowed at any time between December 2020 and 16 April 2021 11:59pm Dutch local time (CET), by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews with the potential candidates will be conducted on a monthly basis. Applications submitted by:
15 January 2021 – selection interviews will take place on 22 January 2021
12 February 2021 – selection interviews will take place on 19 February 2021
12 March 2021 – selection interviews will take place on 19 March 2021
16 April 2021 – selection interviews will take place on 23 April 2021
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Alexander Lazovik
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220463-66
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:About us