Head of the Department of International Strategy and Relations (1.0 FTE)
Office of the University
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen (UG) is very ambitious in the area of internationalization and has been a frontrunner in this area for many years. The UG considers internationalization an instrument for enhancing and innovating education and research. Given that internationalization is a key element in the universities strategy, it is intended to engage all staff and students. Due to the increasing scale and complexity of internationalization, it is essential to manage expertise, and to initiate, maintain and evaluate international collaboration.
The Department of International Strategy and Relations (ISR) is responsible for formulating and implementing UG’s internationalization policy, in close consultation with the universities faculties and service units, and in a dialogue with high-quality international partners, consortia, and networks. ISR is UG’s first point of contact in the area of internationalization, both internally (e.g. for UG faculties and service units) and externally (for national and international partner institutions, umbrella organizations and agencies). The department mainly concentrates on policy development, policy advice, programme and project management, and on international relations management.
Structure and incorporation of the Department
ISR is a compact central policy department within the Office of the University. The department maintains functional links to the Board, the faculties and all other service units and other departments within the Office of the University. The department currently has 11 staff members. The Head reports to the management of the Office of the University.
The Head of ISR will:
● advise the Board of the University, the faculty boards and the service unit boards on internationalization (strategy, implementation, monitoring and organization), international reputation management and international collaboration
● advise faculties and service units where relevant, incorporate their advice when developing policies or project, and facilitate bottom-up initiatives in the field of internationalization that will strengthen the University
● represent the University in national and international networks and consultative bodies
● closely follow developments in the field of internationalization and translate these where relevant into university initiatives (where possible linked to UG’s three central themes of Healthy Ageing, Sustainable Society and Energy)
● further shape the Department together with the ISR team members, take responsibility for the organizational and personnel management of the Department, and ensure smooth communication and collaboration at all levels (within the Department, within the Office of the University, and within the university), in order to achieve UG’s internationalization objectives.
● Master’s degree or PhD
● management experience in a highly political working environment
● broad and relevant experience in the area of internationalization in education and research (policy, implementation and/or organization)
● a clear vision on how to raise the international profile of a higher education institution ranked in the global Top 100
●excellent oral and writing skills in English and the willingness to learn Dutch if this is not the mother tongue. Proficiency in German or in one of the modern world languages is considered a plus, as is knowledge of the Dutch higher education system and of the European policy agenda in the field of education and research.
In addition, candidates must have the following competences:
● conceptual skills
● strategic advisory skills and persuasive power
● proven leadership skills
● intercultural skills
● organizational sensitivity
● excellent networking and communication skills.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary based on qualifications and experience of between € 5,294 and € 6,738 (salary scale 14) gross per month for a full-time position
- an appointment initially on temporary basis (for one year). An evaluation will take place within that year to assess whether the prospect of appointment for an indefinite period is possible. This also depends on developments within the organization and depends on your performance.
The selection procedure may include an assessment.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
- cover letter
You may apply for this position until 30 September 23:59h / before 1 October 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews will take place on Friday 11 October 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr S.E.A. van Galen, General Manager of the Office of the University of Groningen
+31 50 3635280 secr.
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219468