Lecturer Engineering (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The Undergraduate School and Graduate School of the faculty provide respectively 13 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 6000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The position is embedded in the lecturers team of the Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM) Design Group, which collaborates with the ENTEG research institute and (technical) universities. As part of a network of different (engineering and management) disciplines and industrial partners, the IEM Design Group bridges the gap between university teaching and industrial application.
The IEM Design Group develops frontier expertise in engineering design methodology and novel teaching methods, such as team-based learning, coaching student projects, and web classes. Publications on teaching and design expertise are encouraged by the Faculty.
The Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a teaching position with a diverse pallet of activities:
• Contributing to develop dedicated teaching modules for engineering design and (design) research
• Part of teacher’s team in Bachelor and Master course units on engineering methodology
• Supervising teaching assistants in first and second year Bachelor course units with regard to development and implementation of teaching innovation
The lecturer will fully participate in teaching in Engineering programmes (and those related to engineering) and simultaneously develop innovative teaching methods. Furthermore, the lecturer will be involved in curriculum development, the interdisciplinary character of engineering programmes, and in the application of emerging teaching technologies.
As part of the IEM Design Group, the successful candidate has knowledge and skills (or the willingness to acquire them) that dovetail with the IEM degree programme in terms of specific engineering and/or management learning objectives (https://www.rug.nl/bachelors/industrial-engineering-management/).
What we expect of you:
• an academic degree in engineering, science or business science
• affinity with engineering
• a PhD
• expertise and experience in higher education teaching, and knowledge of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching
• the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ), or willingness to acquire it
• teaching or working experience in a multidisciplinary setting
The successful candidate has great affinity with teaching and coaching university students, is an inspiring team member, is keen to develop innovative modes of instruction (such as blended learning and project-based learning), and knows how to translate these ideas effectively into daily teaching practice
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement with Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 3,637 up to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• an appointment for initially one year, with the possibility to extend for 1 year
You can apply for this position by sending the curriculum vitae and motivation letter. The application can be send by clicking on "Apply" below the advertisement on the university website until 26 August 2019 before 1700 hour Dutch local time.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated
For additional information, please contact:
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219418
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can find them here.