Tenure Track Assistant Professor Energy and Industry Network Dynamics (1.0 fte)
University of Groningen
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
The position will be embedded in the Energy and Environmental Science group, within the Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG - http://www.rug.nl/research/esrig) of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
Core of the area of research is understanding "Energy and Industry Network Dynamics" to assess and explore the transition to a low-carbon society, in the form of a more bio-based and circular economy. The research focus shall be on modelling energy and industry systems as dynamic networks, a research area at the frontier of the interdisciplinary fields Energy Systems Science and Industrial Ecology.
The candidate is expected to perform on an internationally recognized level, indicated by among others peer-reviewed publications in high quality journals. She/he has to be able to base the work to a large extent on external funding.
The candidate will teach in bachelor, graduate and post-graduate programmes with a focus on energy and sustainability. She/he can motivate students with different backgrounds. He/she will supervise master and PhD students and act as PhD advisor (initially as “co-promotor”). He/she will assume responsibility for the development of new course modules when appropriate.
• an interdisciplinary background in (1) energy systems, environmental science and sustainability (2) network dynamics modelling and simulation
• a PhD degree in a relevant (inter)discipline and minimal two years postdoctoral experience abroad (industrial experience can partially compensate for this requirement)
• excellent research qualities, as evidenced by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and renowned conferences, and a relevant international network
• affinity with method/methodology development, working in interdisciplinary teams and preferably the execution of third party research
• teaching and organizational experience appropriate to career stage
• evidence of successful acquisition of external funding appropriate to career stage.
• a team player with good communications skills
• willing to fulfill the requirements for the University Teaching Qualification
• fluent in English, and willing to learn the Dutch language.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.
The University of Groningen offers a gross monthly salary dependent on qualifications and work experience from € 3,427 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,330 (salary scale 12 Dutch Universities) gross per month for a fulltime position. The appointment will be initially for a maximum of 6 years at the level of tenure track assistant professor. After 5 years, an assessment of performance based on established criteria will take place. If the outcome of the assessment is positive, the assistant professor will be promoted to associate professor with tenure. There will be another assessment at the end of a further 4-7 -year period for the promotion to full professor. In addition to the primary salary the University offers 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. The University of Groningen provides career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen. The University of Groningen has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Applications You may apply for this position until 8 January / before 9 January 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on this advertisement on the university website). Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including: • a letter of motivation • a curriculum vitae, including a list of publications • a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’ • a statement about teaching goals and experience and a description of scientific interest and plans • the names of three references complete with title and contact information. Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Maximum salary: 5330.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. G.P.J. Dijkema,Chairman of the Energy and Environmantal Science group
+31 50 3639825,
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 216292
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:
Career paths in Science edition 3
About the group
Digital application form