Tenure Track Assistant Professor ALICE (1.0 fte)
University of Groningen
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a vacancy for a Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Artificial Intelligence and/or Cognitive Engineering in the Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Engineering (ALICE).
The ALICE institute for Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Engineering at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science (40 researchers) has a strong research focus on three facets: logic, natural cognition and machine learning. The common research theme concerns persistent cognition, i.e., systems that are 'always on' and able to acquire diverse skills over time. We have a strong interdisciplinary orientation. With computing science, an interest in formal modeling is shared, where these models may be symbolic, statistical or hybrid in nature. With psychology and biology an interest in natural cognition is shared, where our goal is to describe fundamental qualities of cognition and perception by means of computational models.
The institute provides educational programmes in artificial intelligence at the bachelor and master level.
The candidate is expected to initiate new research in the area of Artificial Intelligence, in particular Cognitive Neuroscientific Modeling. He/she is expected to attract funding for new PhD projects and attain a leading international position in the field. He/she is an excellent teacher who can motivate students of different disciplines and he/she has to develop new courses on specific topics in the BSc and the MSc programmes. Teaching duties include the supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students.
The University of Groningen is an equal-opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- a PhD degree and minimal two years postdoctoral experience abroad (industrial experience can partially compensate for this requirement)
- thorough knowledge of and research experience in artificial intelligence, preferably with an affinity for cognitive models
- the tenacity to realize working models as well as having the level of ambition to publish the results on the highest scientific platforms
- excellent research qualities, as evidenced by a publication record in leading international peer-reviewed journals and renowned conferences, cited by prominent researchers, and a relevant international network
- excellent teaching and organizational skills, as well as teaching and organizational experience appropriate to your career stage
- fluency in the English language, in written and spoken form
- evidence of successful acquisition of external funding appropriate to your career stage.
- a team player with good communications skills
- willing to fulfill the obligatory requirement for University Teaching Qualification, if you have not yet obtained it
- willing to learn the Dutch language within 5 years, if you do not speak it well yet.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 72 months.
The University of Groningen offers the appointment initially for a maximum of 6 years at the level of tenure track assistant professor with a gross monthly salary dependent on qualifications and work experience from € 3,400 up to a maximum of € 5,288 (CAO-NU salary scales 11 or12) gross per month for a fulltime position. After 5 years there will be an assessment of performance based on established criteria. If the outcome of the assessment is positive, the assistant professor will be promoted to associate professor with tenure. There will be another assessment at the end of a further 4-7 year period for the promotion to full professor. In addition to the primary salary the University offers 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. The University of Groningen provides career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen. Applications Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including: - a letter of motivation - a Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications - a list of five self selected ‘best papers’ - a statement about teaching goals and experience and a description of scientific interest and plans - the names of three references complete with title and contact information. Please note: you can only upload 5 files so you have to merge your documents to 5 files. You may apply for this position until 6 November / before 7 November 2016 Dutch local time via the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on this advertisement on the University website). Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Maximum salary: 5288.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. L.C. Verbrugge, Chair of the selection committee
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 216246
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:
About the position
About the institute
About the university
Digital application form