Biomedical Research Technician
Biomedical Sciences of Cells & Systems (BSCS)
You will work within the Molecular Cell Biology section of the Department of Biomedical Sciences of Cells & Systems at the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG). Studies by the Department of Biomedical Sciences of Cells & Systems aim to understand basic functions and processes of the cell and systems and how they lead to disease when disrupted. We strive for identification and, where possible, explanations to prevent or cure disease and to promote healthy aging.
Studies in the research group of prof. van IJzendoorn are specifically focused on molecular mechanisms that control protein and organelle trafficking inside cells. A major part of the work is centered around rare genetic diseases of the liver, gut and brain that are associated with defects in protein and organelle trafficking. We have developed expertise with a variety of disease model systems, including patient-derived induced pluripotent stem cells, organoid cultures and gene editing techniques.
- Culturing cells and applying molecular biological techniques (e.g., Western blot, qPCR, mutagenesis, cloning, microscopy).
- Assisting and instructing bachelor and master students during their internship in the lab.
- Assisting PhD students and postdocs in their research activities.
- Develop, implement and validate new methods.
- Manage and maintain assigned facilities such as equipment and inventory.
- Contribute to the general organization of the laboratory.
- A completed education (HLO or master) in the field of biomedical techniques or a related subject.
- Demonstrated recent experience with laboratory research, in particular with cell culture and molecular biological techniques (cloning, etc.).
- Good oral and written communication skills in English and Dutch.
- Independent, flexible, structured, solution-oriented.
- Able to work in an interdisciplinary, academic and international environment.
- A team-oriented attitude.
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. If required for the position, the UMCG can provide the vaccination.
For certain professional groups, a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is requested upon commencement of employment.
Conditions of employment
In principle, this concerns an employment contract for 0.8 FTE (28 hours per week), for a period of one year with the possibility of extension.
The salary is a maximum of € 3,355 gross per month (scale 7) depending on education and experience and on the basis of full-time employment. In addition, the UMCG offers 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus. The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centres (CAO-UMC).
For more information about this vacancy you may contact:
prof. dr. Sven van IJzendoorn
Applying for a job
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed.
You can apply until 30 May 2022.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.
Digital application form