Docent/Lecturer American Studies (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, University of Groningen, V24.0040
The BA Programme in American Studies is searching for a Lecturer to strengthen our teaching team. We are looking for an enthusiastic and cooperative colleague with the ability to teach across our interdisciplinary and hemispheric American Studies BA. Your primary duties will involve (team) teaching modules in the first and second year of our BA programme, contributing to the administrative and committee work of the teaching program, and possibly teaching in other programmes in the Faculty of Arts.
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university offering high quality teaching and research. Its 34,000 students are encouraged to develop their individual talents through challenging study and career paths. The University of Groningen is an international centre of knowledge: it belongs to the best research universities in Europe, and is allied with prestigious partner universities and networks worldwide. For additional information, see this link: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/
The University of Groningen has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is building on a tradition in research and education of four centuries. Its mission is to be an ambitious top-ranking faculty in terms of both education and high-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. The faculty creates knowledge through outstanding education and high-quality research, and shares its benefits with society.
Candidates will ideally have a PhD in American Studies or a related field. While expertise and experience teaching (audio)visual theory, film and television studies, and/or academic writing and research skills in an American Studies context would also be welcome, the most important quality we are looking for is an ability to work across and between disciplines, in line with the interdisciplinary, inter-American approach we take to teaching American Studies in Groningen.
- you have a Master’s degree or equivalent, and preferably a PhD, in American Studies or a related discipline
- you have at least one year of university teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, University Teaching Qualification), or willingness to obtain one in the first two years of your appointment
- you have a demonstrable capacity and willingness to teach interdisciplinary American Studies modules, e.g. those that combine historical and theoretical perspectives
- you have demonstrable experience teaching academic writing and/or research skills in American Studies or a closely related discipline
- you have a capacity and willingness to undertake organizational and administrative duties
- you can demonstrate a collegial and cooperative attitude to teaching and other duties, including team teaching and organizational and administrative duties
- you have the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- you have knowledge of Dutch or willingness to learn it within two years (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.
The University of Groningen offers in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,226 and a maximum of € 5,090 gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- participation in a pension scheme for employees.
The ideal starting date is Aug 1, 2024
Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. We offer 232 holiday hours per calendar year for full-time employment and provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
The Faculty will consider only those applicants who are ready to move to Groningen and live in the near environment of Groningen within a period of two years.
We comply with the conditions of employment of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointment will be on a temporary basis for one year with an outlook to a permanent position when you meet the criteria.
Applications should consist of: - a letter of motivation - a CV including a detailed overview of previous teaching - a statement outlining your approach to teaching - student evaluations of previously taught courses (where available). You may apply for this position until 25 February 11:59pm / before 26 February 2024 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/ Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen. Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Tim Jelfs, Program Coordinator American Studies
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V24.0040