Head of Startup Incubator (0.8 FTE)
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, V24.0034
VentureLab North (VLN) is a startup incubator that supports entrepreneurs in building and growing technology companies in the Northern Netherlands affiliated with the University of Groningen (RUG). VentureLab North offers guidance and support to graduates, scientists, engineers, and professionals in their entrepreneurial journey. Our services turn promising ideas into solid startups and help them grow into successful companies.
As Head of Startup Incubator it is your mission to create the conditions, support structures, and networks to build tomorrow’s leading tech firms. You will lead the incubator team (4 FTE) and be responsible for startup programs, scouting, and community management. You will be part of the management team, directly involved in the strategic positioning of VentureLab North and responsible for the daily operations of the incubator.
- improve and implement our startup support strategy to increase the impact and success rate of our startup portfolio
- lead, develop and manage the incubator team: You will be responsible for overseeing a team of 4 FTE and managing the overall operations. Support the team in their role as startup scout, community manager, program managers and trainers, in line with the overall strategy and vision
- monitor the activities of VLN and provide reports to both the board of the VentureLab North foundation and the head of Entrepreneurship & Knowledge Utilization at the RUG
- advise and support founders: Providing mentorship and advisory services to startups at VLN. Assisting entrepreneurs with strategic planning, business development, and other critical areas to help them grow their businesses
- stakeholder and collaboration management, e.g. with regional development agencies, RUG, regional funds and other incubators in the Netherlands
- design, manage and run startup programs and services to support our startup portfolio: Develop and implement comprehensive programs and services to support startups in various stages of development, covering areas such as validation, product development, and sales.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in areas like technology development and commercialisation support, startup incubator or accelerator programs
- past experience as (co-)founder of a startup or having been part of one is a requirement
- demonstrable people management, coaching, strong leadership skills and the ability to effectively manage a diverse team
- a relevant network in the Dutch startup ecosystem: Have a strong understanding of the startup landscape, including knowledge of various industries, emerging trends, and funding resources. Experience working with startups and supporting their growth is crucial
- business development and networking: You are able to establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including investors, mentors, industry experts, and corporate partners. You should bring and maintain our strong network that can benefit the startups at VLN
- communication and interpersonal skills: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are crucial for this role, you will be working closely with startup founders, investors, and other stakeholders. The ability to effectively convey ideas, present, give feedback and build relationships is important
- proficiency in both written and spoken English and B2/C1 level Dutch are mandatory, while proficiency in Dutch is considered an additional asset.
What do you get in return?
An inspiring startup environment where you have the opportunity to bring your vision to life and make a huge impact for founders and startups within the Northern Dutch ecosystem. You will work with a driven and ambitious team that goes above and beyond to support startups and builds a thriving ecosystem, day-in-day-out.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on experience, a salary from a minimum of € 5.247,- gross per month up to a maximum of € 6.737,- (salary scale 12) for a full-time position
- excellent secondary terms of employment
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- the UFO profile for project manager 3 (projectmanager) is applicable
- a position of 0.8 FTE for the duration of a year. Within 6 months the possibility of extension is explored, depending on structural funding.
Location (2+3): You can work two/three days a week at the office (Fridays are mandatory) and two/three days remotely.
If you are passionate about ensuring high-quality standards in a dynamic startup ecosystem and want to contribute to the success of emerging technology companies, we encourage you to apply.
Start: as soon as possible
You can apply for this position until 15 February 11:59pm / before 16 February 2024 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). The interviews are planned on 1 and 8 March 2024. The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/ Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Mrs Fedes van Rijn
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V24.0034