Full Professor in Medical Robotics (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, University of Groningen, V23.0847
We are looking for a Full Professor eager to lead in the field of Medical Robotics. As a Full Professor, your primary focus will be establishing and spearheading a robust research group in Medical Robotics, focusing on cutting-edge advancements in surgical interventions, diagnosis, drug delivery, and rehabilitation treatments. This dynamic domain spans precision instruments utilized by medical professionals for both invasive and minimally invasive surgeries, visualization, diagnosis, and treatment, alongside patient-focused robot-assisted prosthetic and orthotic devices. Your expertise will drive the exploration of active/intelligent materials, computer methods, instrumentation, control and innovative design and manufacturing. In addition to research leadership, this role places a strong emphasis on education within our degree programmes Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. You'll pioneer research-driven teaching approaches, integrating the latest breakthroughs in medical robotics into the curriculum. Your mentorship will extend to guiding bachelor, master, and PhD students, nurturing their growth in this dynamic field.
We offer you a full-time position in our faculty’s career system Career Paths in Science and Engineering,
As Full Professor with a focus on research you will:
- develop and lead a strong research group that contributes to the profile of the research institute
- teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programmes Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- supervise PhD students
- acquire external funding
- promote the societal relevance of your research
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by chairing working groups and committees, in the fields of teaching, research, and management.
At the stage of Full Professor, 40% of your time is dedicated to research, 40% to teaching, and 20% to organizational tasks.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Groningen is the lively capital of the Northern Netherlands with a high quality of life and affordable living conditions. The University has 34,000 students in BSc and MSc programmes, 4400 PhD students, and 4600 staff members. Our students and staff come from all around the world.
Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, chemical engineering and astronomy, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, biomedical engineering and industrial engineering & management. At FSE, education and research are strongly intertwined, and we value a strong disciplinary basis for our students. Our programmes in science and engineering, while diverse, share a common view on best practices for research-driven, international education. We are proud of the open, inclusive, and informal character of our community.
The position we offer will be embedded in Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG). ENTEG research is highly multidisciplinary in nature and focuses on fundamental and engineering research on the development of new and innovative processes and products. The aim is to conduct excellent research and education in engineering sciences and technologies that contribute to a sustainable and smart society.
We seek candidates with the following characteristics:
- a PhD degree in Biomedical Engineering or a related field
- excellent research qualities, as shown by a strong publication record in international peer-reviewed journals, and proceedings of renowned conferences
- a visible expert in the relevant field with a substantial international network, and the ambition to further develop academically
- a great affinity with, and a good track record in, teaching and curriculum development
- an inspiring leader who stimulates their group members to get the best out of themselves and who provides good supervision to PhD students
- a proven track record in securing research funding
- a team player with excellent communication and organizational skills
- the ability to collaborate with others in international and diverse, multidisciplinary teams
- excellent academic writing and presentation skills (in English)
- in possession of or willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to learn it within at most five years.
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenured position as Full Professor and:
- a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, from € 6,648 up to a maximum of € 9,680 gross per month (scale H2 CAO Dutch Universities) for a full-time position
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- paid maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (90% or 80%)
- a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
- in line with our Career Path in Science and Engineering policy, there is the possibility further down your career path to apply for promotion to Full Professor 1 (scale H1). For more information, please visit https://www.rug.nl/fse/meet-the-faculty/vacatures/vacatures/careerpathsinscienceandengineering/criteria/career-path-in-research/full-professor-1
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen:
We invite you to submit a complete application including: - a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position - a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications, a description of your teaching experience, and a list with names and contact details of references - a list of five self-selected papers with an explanation of your contribution and what impact it made on science and/or society - a statement of your teaching goals and experience - a research statement, including a description of your scientific interest and plans. Please send your application by clicking on "Apply" below the advertisement on the website of the university. You may apply for this position until 3 March 11:59pm / before 4 March 2024 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). A first round of online interviews will be conducted in week 12-13 and forms the basis for a shortlist for in-person interviews in Groningen. The aim is to conduct these in-person interviews in the second half of April. The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/ Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen. Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Bayu Jayawardhana
+ 31 50-363 71 56
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0847
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail More information about the research institute Career Paths in Science and Engineering