Career Track Assistant Professorship in Econometrics (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance of the University of Groningen is looking for a Career Track Assistant Professor in Econometrics.
You conduct independent research and aim to publish in high-ranked international journals in the field of Econometrics. The scope of your research can be broad and may include topics such as data science, machine learning, high- dimensional statistics, computationally intensive methods, possibly including applications to real-world data.
You have good teaching skills and are interested in developing these further. You will contribute to the courses in the BSc and MSc programs offered by the Department, in particular in the fields of Econometrics, Mathematics, and Statistics. Moreover, you are involved in the supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses.
The University of Groningen (UG), founded in 1614, has a strong focus on research. We are in the top 100 of several influential university ranking lists. The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is one of the largest faculties with approximately 7,500 students. It has a strong international reputation and is AACSB and EQUIS accredited. See www.rug.nl/feb for more information.
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance (EEF) is an active research community, performing at the highest international level in terms of research and publications. Researchers in the department are active in several research themes, including (financial and micro) econometrics, statistics, actuarial science, asset pricing, banking, insurance, health, ageing and pensions, behavioral and experimental economics, and industrial organization.
To qualify, you should have:
- a PhD in Economics or Statistics with specialization in Econometrics
- a relevant research record with the potential to publish in top tier econometrics, finance and/or economics journals
- teaching experience, preferably in Econometrics, statistics
- a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or the willingness to obtain this qualification
- a social, positive and dedicated attitude
- organizational qualities and good communicative skills
- ambition to develop an international network of professional contacts.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 18 months.In accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch Universities, we offer:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 4,332 to a maximum of € 5,929 gross per month (salary scale 11)
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favorable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
Career track positions at the Faculty of Economics and Business are permanent positions subject to a tenure decision after eighteen months. Based on a positive evaluation after five years, you will be promoted to Associate Professor. During the appointment as a career track assistant professor, you will have 50% research time.
We would like you to start by August/September 2024.
You are requested to submit:
- your motivation letter
- your up-to-date curriculum vitae
- at least two letters of recommendation (to be sent by email to Martine Geerlings-Koolman: M.A.Koolman@rug.nl)
- your job market paper
- teaching evaluations (if available).
You may apply for this position until Thursday 23 November 11:59pm / before Friday, 24 November 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Niels Hermes
Dr Tom Boot
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0736