PhD position in machine learning for financial time series (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Financial markets generate huge quantities of data. Worldwide there are more than one hundred thousand companies whose shares are publicly traded on stock exchanges. Their prices change with time and are correlated with past and present prices of other stocks. Traditional signal processing and machine learning models have been applied to the price time series of single stocks.
In a project with the title ‘Pattern recognition and machine learning methods for predictive analytics of financial time series’, we will develop deep learning methods that process multiple time series. Furthermore, we will design these methods in such a way that they can process simultaneously time series data and fundamental indicators that characterize the economic performance of companies.
The objective of the temporary position is the production of a number of research articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals, which together will form the basis of a thesis leading to a PhD degree (Dr) at the University of Groningen.
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programs and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, a 4-years PhD position is available at the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence with the topic ‘Pattern recognition and machine learning methods for predictive analytics of financial time series’ The candidate would become a member of the research group Intelligent Systems and will work under the supervision of Prof. N. Petkov.
The successful candidate should have:
• a Master degree in computer science, econometrics or another relevant discipline
• excellent study results: high GPA, high rank in the class and year (preferably belong to the upper 10%), received awards, etc.
• knowledge of and experience with machine learning methods
• research experience and co-authorship of scientific articles, ability to write scientific texts
• good command of English language
• good analytical skills, ability to be curious, proactive and creative, ability to work independently
• good social skills, ability to work in a team, good character.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 48 months.We offer you, following the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of € 2,541 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 3,247 gross per month in the fourth and final year for a full-time working week
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE). The successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the next three years is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
Starting date: 1 December 2022
Application should include:
• letter of motivation
• CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
• transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degree.
You can submit your application until 31 May 11:59 pm / before 1 June 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Next to submitting an application through the university web-site, each candidate should fill in the following form: https://docs.google.com/[…]/viewform?usp=sf_link
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code.
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. N. Petkov
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0322