Research Technician in Electromechanical Systems and Sensors (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is an internationally oriented university, rooted in Groningen, the City of Talent. Quality has been central for 400 years. The result: the University of Groningen is in the top 100 on influential rankings.
The basic units Computational Mechanical and Materials Engineering (CMME) and Advanced Production Engineering (APE) of the Engineering and Technology Institute Groningen (ENTEG) of the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) have a vacancy in which the employee will work 50% to support CMME and 50% for APE.
● electronics assembly, microcontrollers, wireless sensor data acquisition, PCB electronics, micro-soldering, IoT devices
● mechanical and electronic characterization and testing of electronic devices, via equipment such as tension/compression testers, LCR meters, resistance meters, electrometers, NI DAQ, etc.
● maintenance and training associated with 3D printers (Boston Microfabrication, Formlabs, Ultimaker)
● realization of technical infrastructure: understanding and experience with setting up control cabinets, DAQ systems (SCADA), as well as sensor and measurement techniques for wind tunnels and wave flumes
● experience with mechanical characterization of materials and miniaturized electronic sensor packaging and testing
● experience of either working in a clean room or with micro electromechanical sensors; machine learning for sensor data processing is a big plus
● setting up measuring equipment for acoustic and ultrasound experiments
● setting up and conducting fluid dynamics measurements such as particle image velocimetry
● ordering materials and equipment for the groups; finding suppliers and organizing meetings with them
● establishing and maintaining a stock inventory for commonly used parts and components
● installation and maintenance of specially configured personal computers and IoT devices and equipment for education
● assisting students in conducting experiments.
Keywords: fine soldering, PCB electronics, lithography, 3D printers, microcontrollers, data acquisition, micro electromechanical systems (MEMS), sensor prototyping, lithography (and machine learning), equipment maintenance and training, assisting student projects, reading electronic schematics and CAD drawings, good computer skills on Windows PCs, evaluation and development platforms for prototyping with microcontrollers, hydraulic systems, sensors, data acquisition systems, metal, plastic and wood construction, safety
● completed MBO with work experience or an HBO starter in electrical engineering, mechatronics or mechanical engineering
● hands-on mentality
● good communication skills in English; knowledge of Dutch is a plus
● sense of responsibility
● creative problem solver
● detail-oriented mentality
● accurate and organized.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.In accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch universities, we offer:
● depending on education and experience, a salary of at least € 2,471 (salary scale 7) gross per month to a maximum of € 3,764 (salary scale 8) gross per month for a full-time appointment
● 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus over the annual gross income
● an appointment for a period of one year. With proven suitability, as evidenced by a positive assessment after one year, there is a prospect of a permanent appointment.
Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 10 April 11:59pm / before 11 April 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0185
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Computational Mechanical and Materials Engineering Advanced Production Engineering