Materials technology lab technician (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 37,000 students and researchers to develop their individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe, the top 100 universities in the world and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), the Engineering and Technology Institute Groningen (ENTEG, see https://www.rug.nl/research/enteg/) conducts engineering science research and covers a broad area of materials engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, biotechnology and information technology. The research group Advanced Production Engineering (APE) is focused on the development and deployment of advanced production technologies and manufacturing processes to improve product quality and production performance. Synergy between experimental and modeling methodologies promotes (1) fundamental investigations into materials and interface properties, (2) the development of advanced tools for digital fabrication via subtractive and additive manufacturing, (3) the validation of predictive models used for process and product optimization and control, (4) advanced energy harvesting devices and self-powered sensors, and (5) efficient and novel combination of smart processes and complex materials for next-generation products.
For more information about the APE group please use the following link: https://www.rug.nl/research/ape/
The Advanced Production Engineering group has a vacancy for a technician who will support in experimental research activities in materials engineering and technology.
As a materials technology lab technician you will be responsible for the daily operational, maintenance and safety aspects in Materials Processing, Analytical and Microscopic Characterization labs. You will support researchers and students in the setup and execution of experiments. The successful candidate for this position must have a broad background in materials processing technology, failure analysis, the characterization of materials, and knowledge in the operation and troubleshooting of materials engineering laboratory apparatus and electronics.
Primary job responsibilities:
• manage all laboratory assets, ensuring all equipment is maintained, calibrated and serviced on time
• install and maintain software on lab computers and solve issues with lab equipment
• operate and train new students (bachelor and master) to use lab apparatus
• manage, develop, review and ensure conformance to all laboratory risk assessments and best practices
• responsible for purchasing lab consumables, ensuring the inventory is always stocked and that everything is clearly and correctly labelled
• test competence should include the following aspects:
1) laser material processing techniques, physical vapor deposition
2) polymer 3D printing and polymer sensor fabrication
3) mechanical testing - bending, tension, compression, hardness, adhesion tests.
4) sample preparation including grinding, polishing and etching a variety of materials.
You have at least a Bachelor degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Applied Physics, Electro-Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience and hands-on expertise in the field of materials processing and laboratory facility. You are highly motivated, of good problem solving ability, fluent in English and Dutch, and cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.The University of Groningen offers, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience with a minimum of € 2,818 up to a maximum of € 3,764 gross per month (salary scale 8) for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a position initially for 1 year. After 1 year indefinite extension is possible if the outcome of the evaluation of the job performance during the Result and Development Interview is positive.
The preferred starting date is 1 September 2023
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, please send us your application that should include:
• a motivation letter
• a curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 11:59pm 20 March 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university's website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Y. Pei
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0177