Technician Research and Education in Mechanical Engineering (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 36,000 students and researchers to develop their individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe, the top 100 universities in the world and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), the Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG - https://www.rug.nl/research/enteg/) conducts engineering science research and covers a broad area of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, biotechnology and information technology. The research unit Discrete Technology and Production Automation (DTPA) is focused on the dynamical modeling, analysis and systems engineering of complex electro-mechanical systems. The application areas include smart energy systems, mechatronic systems, robotic systems, mechatronics of materials, as well as, multi-agent autonomous systems. Two other research units, Smart Manufacturing Systems (SMS) and Optimization and Decision Systems (ODS) share some of the laboratory space with DTPA.
The research group Discrete Technology & Production Automation has a vacancy for a Technician Research and Education who will coordinate the laboratory activities and support projects for the groups DTPA, SMS and ODS.
- coordinate the activities in the laboratory of DTPA at two locations, with two additional Research and Education assistants
- provide new ideas, new designs and support for laboratory set ups in Systems and Control, Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering related research and education
- active preliminary research for new technology available on the market, or to be developed in the laboratory
- design and development of mechatronic systems and electronic circuits
- testing, installing, documenting, and delivering new setups
- coordinate the maintenance of the laboratory setups
- function as advisor about laboratory research and education in the relevant fields
- function as advisor for and participant in projects of DTPA, and potentially also of SMS and ODS
- participate in the acquisition of projects.
Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or similar engineering from a university or university of applied sciences, with significant additional experience. Specifically,
- significant experience with laboratory support and coordination
- experience with analogue and digital electronics, electro-mechanical systems, control engineering, sensors, actuators, embedded software, simulation tools and techniques and physical measurement systems. In particular, experience with ROS and software development for embedded systems with ARM-Cortex microcontrollers is highly desirable
- fluent in English and Dutch
- a dynamic, creative and pioneering professional attitude
- the ability to work independently and with colleagues, and to take the lead in coordination and providing new ideas
- a problem solving ability
- cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
- enjoys working with young people of several educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience with a minimum € 2,960 (salary scale 10) and maximum € 5,439 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- a position first for one year. If the outcome of the evaluation during the Research and Development interview is the positive, the position is going to be tenured.
You may apply for this position until 21 March 11:59pm / before 22 March 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the universities website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.M.A. Scherpen
+31 50 3638791
Prof. B. Jayawardhana
+31 50 3637156
In your application, please always include the job opening ID V23.0014