Lecturer for Physics practicals (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
This position will be embedded in FSE’s School of Science and Engineering, which offers 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7000 students. In particular, you will become part of the team that takes care of the programmes of Physics and Applied Physics.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic lecturer who can strengthen the existing lecturing team of the degree programmes in (Applied) Physics and Biomedical Engineering (BME). The new colleague will be responsible for the content, maintenance, operation, safety, and coordination of part of Physics, Applied Physics and Physics Lab courses for BME students.
The tasks of the lecturer will include:
• teaching and coordination of physics laboratories and tutorials in the Physics, Applied Physics and BME programmes
• supervision of the daily operation of the labs
• management and maintenance of the lab facilities, including preparation of equipment
• management of teaching assistants
• supervision of students and teaching assistants on lab operations
• implementing and conducting lecture demonstrations (in collaboration with the lecturer of the course) as necessary.
We encourage you to apply if you:
• have at a minimum a MSc degree in (Applied) Physics or related field
• have experience in physics lab work
• have knowledge of computer control systems and connection to measuring equipment.
• have experience in teaching at the University level
• have good command of spoken and written English
• are a team player with good communication skills
• are able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on work experience and qualifications, with a minimum of € 2,960 up to a maximum of € 4,670 (salary scale 10, UFO profile Teacher 4)) gross per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• an appointment for one year. After a positive evaluation it will be extended until 30 September 2024
• training opportunities to further develop your didactic capabilities, including the possibility to begin the UTQ (BKO) training.
Consider our website for more information about the conditions of employment at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/conditions-of-employment
Preferred start date: as soon as possible
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience.
• a one-page statement of your teaching philosophy and career goals as related tot education
• one letter of recommendation from someone with knowledge of your teaching abilities.
This vacancy will remain open until the position is filled. You can apply by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Applications will begin to be considered from 9:00 CET on 25 November 2022.
Interviews with the potential candidates will take place shortly after applications are received, in the week of 21 November, or moving forwards.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Jake Noel-Storr, X-Lab-PAM Team Leader, (WhatsApp / Signal / Text Message preferred)
+31 6 31921936
Dr Gerco Onderwater, director School of Science and Engineering, for other information
+31 50 3633557
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222786