Faculty Board Managing Director of the Faculty/Board secretary Spatial Sciences
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
University of Groningen
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences is a dynamic and internationally oriented faculty (about 110 FTE) with an open character and short communication lines between staff and students. There are four departments: Cultural Geography, Demography, Economic Geography, and Planning, together they are responsible for teaching and research. The teaching and research at the Faculty addresses important societal themes such as the sustainable future of cities and regions and the relationship of people with their environment. The motto is `Making Places Better Together’. The Faculty mission is to deliver leading, discerning, and policy-relevant research on these topics, which are so important in our current society. With two Bachelor’s degree programmes and eight Master’s degree programmes, this faculty offers a wide variety of study options within the field to about 1100 students.
The Faculty is led by the Faculty Board, which is chaired by the Dean. In addition to the Dean, the other members of the Faculty Board include the Vice Dean —Faculty Board Member for Education—, the Managing Director of the Faculty, and a student member. The Faculty Board is a collegial board, for which the Dean bears final responsibility.
The Faculty is currently looking for a board member to function as Managing Director of the Faculty, as the current officer has taken a position elsewhere.
As Managing Director, you are responsible for personnel, finance, accommodation, buildings management, and all matters concerning business operations. Together with the dean and vice-dean, with the teaching and research portfolios, you are ultimately responsible for Faculty policy development and implementation. In consultation with the other members of the Faculty Board, you will ensure the efficient organization of the Faculty and directly manage support or act as principal on behalf of the Faculty Board. In addition, you have a role —together with colleagues from other faculties— in the creation and implementation of the institution's business operations policy.
You will also serve as Faculty Secretary and, together with fellow managers, ensure a good working environment at the Faculty.
Specific duties to be performed as part of this position include:
- having an eye for developments and analyse them for possible implications for the Faculty
- translating educational/research policies into policy in terms of a variety of resources, in particular personnel, financial resources, and buildings
- also translating this policy to the required forms and workload of support and to an efficient organization of the entire faculty structure.
You are an enthusiastic, driven professional, possessing:
- an academic level of working and thinking, and strongly developed strategic thinking skills
- managerial experience at a public institution in education or higher education, preferably a large one, and affinity with academic teaching and research
- experience with the financial 'control cycle', management processes, and administrative procedures; you are open and direct about the procedures and show flexibility where necessary
- experience in the field of talent and organizational development, change processes, employment conditions, and other HR related topics
- a good feel for administrative relations and you are therefore able to work with authority in an environment in which professional autonomy plays a major role; you are good at establishing and maintaining relationships
- a coaching leadership style and the ability to delegate whenever that is possible
- good spoken and written communication skills in both Dutch and English
- reliable in terms of agreements and statements
- ability to switch quickly between the many administrative matters; you fit well into the culture of the Faculty, and you also serve the organizational interests of the University of the Netherlands as an institution.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of at least € 5,784 and at most € 7,362 (salary scale 14) gross per month for a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- an appointment of 0.8-1.0 FTE for the period of one year with the prospect of appointment for an indefinite term in the event of proven suitability; as a rule, the appointment as managing director is in principle for five years with the possibility of renewal for another five years.
The selection procedure may include an assessment.
You will find the UG's strategic plan and management report on the UG website.
Date of entry into employment: 1 April 2023
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
- letter of application
- curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 27 November 11:59pm / before 28 November 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J. Woltjer, decaan
+31 50 3633907
Drs. J.A.W.M. Biemans, vice voorzitter College van Bestuur
+31 50 3635285
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222782E