Tenure Track Assistant Professor Operations (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen
The Department of Operations is part of the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Groningen, The Netherlands. The department is seeking candidates for a fulltime Tenure Track faculty position (rank Assistant Professor) in the area of Operations Management.
We are a highly regarded and productive research group. Our cutting edge (inter)disciplinary research is currently built around the themes of supply chain integration, supply chain resilience, health care operations, production planning & control, asset management, and sustainability in supply chains, operations, transport and energy supply (see: https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/departments/operations/research) and is regularly published in top tier journals. We use a large variety of research methods (using case study, archival data, simulation, modelling) and deal with applied, as well as fundamental research questions. The Faculty possesses very good research facilities. Faculty members have an excellent network in industry, providing access to (industry funded) organizational field research. To facilitate access to industry, we have a leading role in the center of expertise COPE (https://www.rug.nl/cope/). The department has an internationally oriented work environment with collaboration and exchange with leading universities around the world.
To complement our current research focus, we ideally look for a candidate with an active line of research in Operations Management. We particularly encourage candidates that have experience with fundamental operations management principles related to, for example, bottlenecks, batching, variability buffering and pooling and understand their managerial implications in different practical settings.
We currently have 8 Full Professors, 1 Visiting/Honorary Professor, 11 Associate Professors, 23 Assistant Professors, 18 PhD students, and 11 Lecturers. Our department contributes to several degree programs at the Bachelor and Master level and to the Research Master of the graduate school, SOM. We are responsible for 2 one-year English spoken MSc programs: Supply Chain Management and Technology & Operations Management. In addition, we participate in a one-year English spoken MSc Econometrics, Operations Research and Actuarial Studies program.
- conduct empirical research in the field of Operations
- communicate about research findings in high-quality scientific journals, at international conferences, and in practitioner-oriented outlets
- contribute to the acquisition of external funding of research projects and (co)supervision of PhD students
- teach courses in the faculty's Bachelor and Master programs
- participate in committees at the department and faculty levels.
- the candidate should have a completed PhD in a relevant field (Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Industrial Engineering & Management)
- expertise in one of the above fields, demonstrated by evidence of the ability (or demonstration of potential) to publish in international, academic (top or very good) peer reviewed journals
- interest and ability in developing courses and teaching in Operations Management at the undergraduate and graduate level and in mentoring students
- an international network
- organizational qualities and excellent communication skills
- the potential to generate external funding for research projects.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a minimum of € 3,974 gross per month (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,181 gross per month (salary scale 12 Dutch Universities) for a fulltime position a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
- participation in a pension scheme for employees.
You will be appointed for a period of seven years. This period includes a one-year buffer to cover life events such as illness or parental leave. On the basis of a positive final evaluation in the fifth or sixth year of employment, you will be granted tenure. The Tenure Track system is a career path which, followed successfully, will lead to a tenured position as associate professor. The Tenure Track system 2020 applies.
Applicants are requested to submit:
1. a motivation letter
2. a complete curriculum vitae
3. three letters of recommendation
4. one self-selected "best paper" (either a published paper or working paper)
5. a short statement of research accomplishments and future research goals
6. five keywords descriptive of research area.
You may apply for this position until 27 November 11:59pm / before 28 November 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Taco van der Vaart
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222724
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:About Tenure Track About the Department of Operations