Tenure Track Assistant Professor (education) ‘Energy, Environment and Society’
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, energy & environment and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen. This institute does research on two of the focal points of the university of Groningen: Sustainability and Energy. The institute consists of 6 base units that cover a wide range of subjects within these topics, ranging from energy conversion processes to atmospheric sciences, societal studies to wind energy, and nuclear energy to global carbon cycles, which make the institute both nationally and internationally stand out. All these base units contribute to the MSc programme Energy & Environmental Sciences making this one of the broadest-oriented MSc programmes of its kind. The IREES group in particular supports also Science & Society related BSc-education, aiming to make students reflect on the ethics and professional aspects of their current study and future working environment as an academic.
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Energy and Sustainability as well as in the Science and Society field. Within the group of Integrated Research on Energy, Environment and Society (IREES, group of ESRIG), one of the research lines is on the societal aspects of the energy transition. The energy transition is accompanied by local as well as national or even global challenges that come with changing from more classical (fossil) energy sources to renewable energy, and when trying to approach (potential) ecological and societal disturbances from a sustainability perspective. Discussions on such topics often show contrasting conclusions, depending on whether the point of view is more national (NL), more Europe-based, or more globally-oriented. This ensures a rather dynamic research field that also brings challenges to teaching this in a well-balanced way. Similar challenges are felt with regard to FSE disciplines on the BSc level, necessitating reflections on Science in relation to Society regarding ethical and professional aspects.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
- play a significant role in the development and innovation of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
- teach and contribute to course development in the degree programme Energy & Environmental Sciences
- contribute to Science & Society-related education in other FSE degree programmes
- develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in the research group IREES (Integrated Research on Energy, Environment & Society)
- contribute to the supervision of PhD and MSc students
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader. We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a passion for teaching and education development
- demonstrably excellent qualities and (some) experience in teaching
- a PhD degree in the field of Energy & Sustainability or a related field
- a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
- at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
- a relevant international network and preferably international experience
- demonstrable organizational competences good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (scale 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
● a starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 30 October 11:59pm / before 31 October 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place around the third/fourth week of November.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. dr. K. Hubacek, Chair IREES
Prof. dr. E.J. Stamhuis, Edu Dir ESRIG
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222643
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail More information about the research institute More information about the employment conditions of the University Career Paths in Science