TT Assistant Professor (Edu) Computational Physics in Particle Physics & Gravity
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as physics, mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Van Swinderen Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity (VSI). The mission of the VSI is to investigate the fundamental forces of Nature and their implications for the Universe, by connecting the physics at the Planck scale (quantum gravity) via subatomic scales (particle physics) to cosmic dimensions. Research is conducted at three specific Frontiers: the Cosmic, High-Energy and Precision Frontiers. In all Frontiers, we aim to exploit experimental and theoretical approaches to benefit from their synergy.
Full title: Tenure Track Assistant Professor with education profile in Computational Physics in particle physics and gravity (1.0 FTE)
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested in starting a tenure track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of computational physics, with connection and applications to particle physics and/or gravity. Computational methods play an increasingly important role in attempts to answer fundamental physics questions. This position adds expertise in the development of novel computational strategies to the existing research activities at the Van Swinderen Institute (VSI) in particle physics, gravity and cosmology and contributes in an essential way to computational aspects of the Physics Bachelor and Master programmes.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
- teach in the degree programmes Physics and Applied Physics
- play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
- develop your research line and/or contribute to research lines in one or more of the three base units (High-Energy, Cosmic, Precision Frontiers) of the Van Swinderen Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity
- contribute to the supervision of Ph.D. students
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and computational physics, and to become an inspiring and innovative teacher and researcher in that field. We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a passion for teaching and education development
- demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
- a Ph.D. degree in theoretical or computational physics, obtained at most 8 years ago (at the time of appointment)
- a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
- at least 2 years of relevant work experience after your Ph.D. (at the time of appointment)
- demonstrable organizational competences
- good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
- willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- a team player with good communication skills who can inspire students and colleagues
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 60 months.We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (scale 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
- a starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
- holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
- a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
- dual-career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In the case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of two or three references
- a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
- a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 29 September 11:59pm / before 30 September 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in November/December 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Diederik Roest (education director VSI)
+31 50 36 39042
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222519