Temporary teachers Artificial Intelligence and/or Cognitive Sciences (6.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provide respectively 14 Bachelor degree programmes and 26 Master degree programmes to approximately 7000 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
The School of Science and Engineering has a number of vacancies for temporary teachers in the Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Artificial Intelligence, and the Computational Cognitive Science Master. The teaching staff in these programmes is associated with the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computing Science and Artificial Intelligence. In these programmes, teaching is in English, promoting an international setting and with a focus on research-driven teaching.
The duties of the Teacher will include:
● teaching, tutoring and grading course modules in the Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Artificial Intelligence and the Computational Cognitive Science Master. The course modules to be taught are in the following areas, depending current gaps in the programmes and on interest and experience of the successful candidate:
- General AI
- Machine Learning
- Human-centered AI
- Natural language processing / computational linguistics
- Responsible AI
● instructing and advising Bachelor’s and Master’s students during their research projects on Artificial Intelligence or Cognitive Science
● assisting other staff members in their teaching where needed
● recruiting, selecting and managing Teaching Assistants (students) for your course modules.
Part of the appointment includes time for professionalisation activities (up to 10%).
The successful candidate should:
● have a PhD or Master’s degree in a relevant field, preferably in Artificial Intelligence
● have excellent teaching skills
● be fluent in English
● preferably have experience in teaching at the University level
● possess cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communicative skills
● have willingness to integrate within an international group and enjoy working with young people with various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 36 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary with a minimum of € 2,960 (salary scale 10) to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (salary scale 11), depending on tasks, qualifications and level of experience) for a full-time position
● in addition to the salary: 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus
● minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
● a full-time or a part-time position (to be determined in negotiation), for a minimum of 0.5 FTE. For this position, the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 3 or 4, depending on tasks, experience and qualifications
● an appointment for three years.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
● a CV
● a motivation letter.
You can submit your application until 25 August 11:59 pm / before 26 August 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr F. Cnossen
+31 50 3636336
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222462-67