TT Assistant Professor with education profile Pharma Data Sciences & Statistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy. Education and Research at the GRIP is multidisciplinary. It bridges clinical, health economy and biomedical sciences on the one side and chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics (statistics) on the other side. The interaction between the pharmaceutical sciences with these fundamental and clinical sciences offers excellent opportunities for innovative education and cutting-edge research.
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track with a focus on education, and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Pharmaceutical Data Sciences & Statistics. The candidate will teach and study contemporary approaches to retrieve, store, combine and analyze big health care data, as well as smaller data sets from laboratory experiments from various sources. Both causal and predictive analytical modelling will be applied in an unstructured hypothesis-free way by using machine learning techniques as well as in using pharmaceutically informed hypothesis testing and risk estimation. Examples of data science applications in pharmacy include the analysis of experimental data as well as construction of observed dynamic drug treatment pathways and its relation to drug intended and unintended effects; reconstruction of genomic and metabolic data in the causal pathway to disease and modification of drug effects, as well as machine learning approaches supporting diagnosis and prognosis estimations.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
● teach in the Bachelor and Master degree programmes of Pharmacy, and the Research Master Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences
● play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
● contribute to research lines in the research group PharmacoTherapy, -Epidemiology & -Economics of the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy, or develop your own research in line with the strategy of the research group
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in mathematics/statistics/pharmacy/medicine or a related field
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● preferably between 2-6 years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
● demonstrable organizational competences
● good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities a full-time tenure track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications, work experience and your career stage, from € 3,746 up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time positiona starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 28 August 11:59pm / before 29 August 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place from 5-9 September 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Eelko Hak, +31 50 3637576 (secretary)
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222372
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Profile report in which the position is described in more detail More information about the research institute Assessment procedure and criteria