Lecturer Science and Society (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science and Engineering of the faculty provides 14 Bachelor degree programs and 26 Master degree programmes respectively to approximately 7100 students. The faculty’s staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its degree programmes are in English.
Within the Faculty, a group of lecturers is responsible for interdisciplinary education on the crossroads of science and society. The group provides courses on ethics, philosophy of science, policy and career orientation in most of the faculty’s degree programmes, from mathematics to medical biology. The Faculty has presently one temporary vacancy within this group.
The Lecturer will teach in various courses of the faculty’s ‘science and society’ education, which include the Science, Business and Policy (SBP) track in most of the master’s programmes, seven courses in the faculty’s bachelor’s programmes on Science, Ethical and Professional Aspects (SEPA) and 3 courses within the university broad minor Future Planet Innovations (FPI). The courses are interdisciplinary and most of them include projects that take place outside academia. We expect the Lecturer to supervise (short and long term) internships within the SBP track, to teach in at least one of the SEPA courses and to teach in one of the courses in FPI minor The specific courses are listed below, for more information on the content, please consider the university’s on-line course catalog.
• Introduction Science and Business (SBP track)
• Introduction to Science and Policy (SBP track)
• Internship Business and Policy (SBP track)
• Global Challenges (minor FPI)
• Global Integration (minor FPI)
• Sustainable Contributions to Society (minor FPI)
• Chemistry & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects (SEPA, Chemistry)
• Physics, Astronomy & Society: Ethical & Professional Aspects (SEPA).
The Lecturer tasks could include:
• give lectures and tutorials within the courses listed above
• prepare and/or supervise (BSc and MSc) internships at companies and (non-)governmental organizations
• prepare and/or supervise (BSc and MSc) projects on science advice
• have the opportunity for further professionalization (approximately 10% of the position).
Teaching at the Faculty of Science and Engineering is research-infused. For this reason, you will be affiliated with the research group IREES ( Integrated research on Energy, Environment and Society).
What we expect of you:
• a Master’s degree in a science or engineering discipline (because of the composition of the team there is a preference for a background in the field of applied pharmacy/mathematics or physics)
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures, tutorials, group work, coaching, workshops)
• minimally 2 years of experience in teaching at the university level
• affiliation with innovation, economics, business and policy studies
• demonstrable broad interests in and knowledge of societal aspects of science and engineering
• experience outside of academia, such as in business, consultancy, government, or non-governmental organizations is an asset
• excellent proficiency in English and command of Dutch
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
• to be flexible and creative
• ability to work in a team
• University Teaching Qualification (UTQ, Dutch: BKO). If you do not have a UTQ, you will start as Teacher 4.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary with a minimum of € 3,821 up to a maximum of € 5,230 gross per month (salary scale 11, starting salary depends on qualifications and experience) for a full-time position
• in addition to the salary: 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• a (part time) appointment of 0.8-1.0 FTE for one year. For this position the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 3. If you do not have a UTQ, you will start as Teacher 4, scale 10.
Curious about our further conditions of employment?: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/conditions-employment
Starting date: September 2022
Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• motivation letter
• curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 31 May 11:59pm / before 1 June 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Job interviews will be held on Thursday 9 June 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Mrs Dr M. van Rijssel
+31 50 3632212
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222312